Dog Trainers

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Huntin' Fool, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Huntin' Fool

Huntin' Fool 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2014
    I am very interested in welcoming a lab into our home (probably yellow). I have gained interest in waterfowl hunting the last few years and would love to have a dog to bring some ducks back, plus I have a 15 month old son and more on the way and would like to have a good family dog. I know nothing about training a dog to retrieve. If anyone has any advice or can tell me where to start I would be very appreciative. Please feel free to PM me. Thanks.

2. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    There are many books available on the subject, but it's pretty simple. There's a lot more involved to train a dog for upland than it is for waterfowl. However, I've always started my dogs with retrieving first. You're considering a Lab, so half the battle is won. My method has always been to use a hairbrush (teaches soft-mouth) and just toss it around the house or yard. I've always referred to brush as "the bird" too. Pups get bored and lose interest quickly, so multiple short sessions are better than a couple of long ones. Pup should pick things up quickly; then it's just a matter of repetition.

3. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Get a poodle and train the kid to get the ducks.

4. quacktracker

quacktracker Fawn

Nov 29, 2009

5. quacktracker

quacktracker Fawn

Nov 29, 2009
    I am expecting a litter of labs at the end of February. Should be good hunting stock. If you have not already picked one out and looking for a good pup pm me.

6. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    where you located I'm looking for a chocolate male if you end up with any