Dog proof traps

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Duke Pro Series 550 is my go to on coyotes. They really don’t need any modification. It’s plenty fast and holds good out of the box. After you boil it and wax it.
This a decent trap and price from Rural King?

1669778584192.png

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
This a decent trap and price from Rural King?

View attachment 107439
They usually run $8-10. Prices have gone up since I bought any. Those 550’s used to be $12.

But a 2 is a great all around size. My dad loves 1.5’s. I’m partial to 1 3/4 and 2’s

Midway has traps too if your buying online. A lot of times Rural King has them cheaper in store and they and tractor supply price match.

trapper perry

12 pointer
May 10, 2009
If you have fox in your area I recommend a 175 size trap.Number 2 trap is great for coyotes but a little hard on fox.I think Victor or Bridger traps are more high quality than Dukes.Look up Minnesota Trapline Products they carry all types of traps.

Onthedge

6 pointer
Dec 11, 2020
South East Ky
Probably like most things, I don't think they'd be 100% dog proof. This post got me to thinking about a chihuahua, I could see one getting caught in a dog proof. Lol.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Probably like most things, I don't think they'd be 100% dog proof. This post got me to thinking about a chihuahua, I could see one getting caught in a dog proof. Lol.
Only if it can pull the lever. You can modify them to push pull but a standard dog proof requires them to hook their paw under lever and pull it.

Onthedge

6 pointer
Dec 11, 2020
South East Ky
Only if it can pull the lever. You can modify them to push pull but a standard dog proof requires them to hook their paw under lever and pull it.
I'm just saying if it can get it's paw in it could hook the trigger with a toe and trigger it, and there are some brands that have a push pull trigger system.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I'm just saying if it can get it's paw in it could hook the trigger with a toe and trigger it, and there are some brands that have a push pull trigger system.
Technically it’s possible. I’ll keep trying but I haven’t caught any yet. Like I said before I’ve knocked a few dogs teeth out. But haven’t caught any little or big dogs yet.

wolverine1

12 pointer
Oct 19, 2004
breckinridge county
If I were strictly trapping fox and did not have to worry about coyotes I would use a 1.5 or 1 3/4 size trap. The old Northwoods and Montgomery traps are my favorite in that size.

Since I do not have that luxury, as most here in KY dont, I reach for the MB550 and Bridger #2 dogless most often. I do run some K9 Pro Jr.'s that I like too.

trapper perry

12 pointer
May 10, 2009
If I were strictly trapping fox and did not have to worry about coyotes I would use a 1.5 or 1 3/4 size trap. The old Northwoods and Montgomery traps are my favorite in that size.

Since I do not have that luxury, as most here in KY dont, I reach for the MB550 and Bridger #2 dogless most often. I do run some K9 Pro Jr.'s that I like too.
You gonna trap any this year?

mcbuck58

6 pointer
Oct 10, 2021
Mammoth Cave KY
Been using cat food in my dog proofs. Read about using marshmallows so put a couple on ground and a couple in trap on top of cat food. Ants love the marshmallows and eat them up fairly quick or they just kind of melt away. The problem with the cat food is after it rains it turns to mush. Have been replacing the cat food mush with fresh cat food but it’s a pain. Anyone using shelled corn like from deer feeder in dog proofs? Running 12 traps, 6 by three feeders ( two each) and 6 by creeks. Supposed to get 6 inches of rain over next 4 or 5 days. What is a good bait in rainy weather? Will the coons still dig into the cat food mush? Do the coons smell blood of other coons and avoid? Should I be using choke pole? Sorry for long post thanks for any advice.

Latest posts