Dog proof traps

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Do they make a cooking device to set them?
My hands are so broken up its all I can do to set one is there a trick to it?
Going to trap some coons and possums this fall and need to get me a few.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Do they make a cooking device to set them?
My hands are so broken up its all I can do to set one is there a trick to it?
Going to trap some coons and possums this fall and need to get me a few.
Yes. Looks like this. I painted mine orange so I could find them.
Screenshot_20220702-184511_Amazon Shopping.jpg

ancienthunter

8 pointer
Dec 25, 2011
Over the Hill
I usually set my foot on the spring to push it down and take my hand push the latch over the spring and hook it in. Just set one a couple hours ago, coon kept getting in my neighbor outbuilding and her cats food. She called 30 minutes ago to tell me we had a coon. I dispatched it and reset the trap in case it had cousins. One down a million to go.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I usually set my foot on the spring to push it down and take my hand push the latch over the spring and hook it in. Just set one a couple hours ago, coon kept getting in my neighbor outbuilding and her cats food. She called 30 minutes ago to tell me we had a coon. I dispatched it and reset the trap in case it had cousins. One down a million to go.
Bait????

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Cat food or dogfood especially with the omega 3 oils that tend to have a little fishy smell. Little marshmallows work good also. Coons have a sweet tooth!
Ive had terrible luck with marshmallows. Knocked a few neighborhood dogs teeth out with cat food, they just chew on it till the trap busts their jaw.

Any kind of bread or cracker with vanilla extract drizzled on it does great. I use zebra cakes I eat most of first a lot of times.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Ive had terrible luck with marshmallows. Knocked a few neighborhood dogs teeth out with cat food, they just chew on it till the trap busts their jaw.

Any kind of bread or cracker with vanilla extract drizzled on it does great. I use zebra cakes I eat most of first a lot of times.
Yeah, I'm not wasting a good honey bun.