Dog Allergy?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by mcdenney, Jan 14, 2014.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I got a little female daschund that looks healthy all year long but starting late November she starts scratching and her hair comes out in several places on her body. Spent a fortune at the vet last year but just can't afford it this year. She takes two pills right now. Just a real nervous, itchy little dog. I also wash her in the medicated shampoo. I use Hot Spot some but you also got to watch drying their skin out or they'll scratch even more. Vet can't even figure it out but come March she'll quit scratching her hair will grow back and she'll look great. So far it's not been as bad as last year. I told the vet back in December that she just hates Christmas.

2. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Do you use Ivermectin for heartworms? I've noticed it seems to clear up a lot of skin issues that I've seen. I still spray Vetericyn on everything too.

3. Peacher79

Peacher79 6 pointer

Aug 8, 2007
    Pine Grove, KY
    My son's setter has the same problems and he gives her Benadryl. It works for her.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Has the vet checked for ringworm

5. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    She gets Trifexis chewable for heartworm.

6. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Ivermectin clears up a lot of problems and would save money vs the tablets.

7. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    I know there is a lot of cost savings there but I have heard some possible side effects from my vet. How do you administer yours?

8. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    There are side effects just like any medication. Trifexis also has side effects. I give 1/10 cc per 10lbs body weight. Use a small syringe to draw it out and then remove the needle once it's drawn. Be sure to only use the plain Ivomec or Noromectin.

I also heard a guy this past week again tell me he started feeding the grain free Diamond food and his dogs hair started falling out. The label on that food sounds really good but it just doesn't give me the results I'm looking for.

9. aferguson27

aferguson27 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2007
    Paintsville
  10. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    That is how my dad adminsters his too. I checked last night and found that this last round of food was 4Health Salmon and Potatoe but did not say grain free.

11. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Nash gets trifexis because it also has a flea preventative in it and he spends a lot of time in the house. I've given ivermectin before straight from the farm store. It works fine.

Marty, you can get those bales of cedar bedding at Tractor Supply if you have one. That's where I get mine.

Nash eats Pro Plan Sport 30/20 but it's not grain free. You might try Taste of the Wild. It's grain free and available at Tractor Supply also.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  12. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Thanks Tim. I was going to order a few things anyway so I ordered a cedar ribbon bale from Lion country, along with some personalized collars, new dog box, etc. I have heard good things about taste of the wild. I gotta figure this out!

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Mine were on trifexes but use sentinel now. Basically the same just a little cheaper. Honestly the best thing has been just giving her my generic 10mg allergy pills.

14. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Dont start a dog on Ivomec unless you have it heartworm tested first. My vet said it will kill the dog if it already has the worms. Also can't give it to collies.....found that out the hard way.

15. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Some people are using Ivermectin as a treatment for dogs that already have heartworms. If I remember right it was a smaller dosage that slowly killed them off over time. The regular dosage will kill all the worms at once and cause problems. Sounds risky still though.