Does your milkweed have monarchs?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I was surprised to learn there are 100 species of milkweed, the only type of plant Monarch butterflies will lay eggs on. By virtue of where it grows, it tends to get cut down at an alarming rate. A friend of mine that plants acres of butterfly-friendly plants showed me some larvae recently.

Ataulbe1, Nock, rlb165 and 6 others like this.
  2. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
  3. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    milkweed, is not good for horses... i gotta think of my girls, other that that, let monarch butterflies grow..

4. Hoosier Sasquatch

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Did not know that! Is it that the horses like it for it's own sake, or do they get into it while eating other stuff?

Fortunately the most common kind is easy to spot. Do you know many of the others?

While on the same visit we found one other variety but the only way we knew was the goo.

5. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    milkweed kills horses. i only know of the kind, that has the big pod seeds... i got an arabian strand of horses. small, and hot blooded, like a racehorse.. only, smaller, like a cob.. they can eat near, anything, yet some plants are poison to them, just like the rest of the horses... i would say, hay, with some of that in in, might kill a horse, maybe a cow.. i dont know what is in the plant, just know that it does.. feed your dog's chocolate, for example. kills them dead. if ya use a mineral block, with copper in it, your goats will die. i never seen my mares eat at a mole bean plant, though 3 beans from, a pod, will kill a horse.
    horses dont like it, best i know, and with reason on their behalf..

6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Had a chihuahua as a kid that lived to be 16. Ate chocolate of some type every day of its life once it was an adult. My did treated it like a person. If it wasn't chocolate ice cream it was a brownie or piece of candy. Had always heard chocolate was bad for dogs but didn't seem to bother him. Ended up having kidney failure and died from a seizure shortly after.

7. Hoosier Sasquatch

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Got to look out for your horses, no doubt! I always wanted to check out those few plants that you always see left in a heavily grazed cow pasture. They must be really nasty or the cattle somehow know they aren't good for them. Some plants,or parts thereof (dock berries) for example, are deadly to most things but they know not to eat it. Yet some birds seek them out.

8. Hoosier Sasquatch

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    One Christmas my wife's dog sniffed out chocolate covered cherries under the tree and ate the whole box. They awoke the next morning to find the toilet bowl drained, the fish tank drank down to inches, and puke everywhere. The dog survived but was lethargic for a few days. ;)

9. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I have two large patches in 2 food plots I leave just for the monarchs. I haven't seen them in there yet. I'll keep an eye out. Last year there were @100 in there one day I checked. This year I'll take my camera down with me. Hopefully they come back. We could use some rain.

00noturkey likes this.
  10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    We got a section of the yard that's hard to get the mower to. So we made it into a wildflower garden this year. Or at least tried to. We did it with seeds and a lot of the flowered, but it's still more weeds than anything. When it cools down, I'm going to go out and pull the weeds and then plant more next year and put in some transplants.

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  11. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Something about mimosa trees (sp?) When they bloom are loaded with butterflies. I didn't take a pic but seen one with a thousand on it looked like.

12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    When I was a kid, there were plenty of Monarchs, but they are about gone now. I hear their wintering grounds is down to a few acres from many square miles.

I actually saw one when cutting hay a couple weeks ago...yes, in a milkweed.

13. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    During World War II, the regular material used to stuff life jackets was in short supply, so milkweed floss was called for as a substitute—it is about six times more buoyant than cork!
    https://www.almanac.com/content/common-milkweed-uses-and-natural-remedies

14. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    We have a small patch of milkweed that came up just outside of our yard. A couple of times, I’ve gone out and stood a few feet away from it and just watched.
    I was really surprised at how much activity there was in this little area.
    There were different kinds of butterflies, dragonflies, lightning bugs, bees, and a few of these, which I don’t know the name of:
    EFB4B638-E116-43B1-A28A-7833D41E1304.png

I tried to take some good butterfly pictures, but this was the best I could do.
    7FFCC248-767D-4879-852B-3F9CE19AE9BD.png

Hoosier Sasquatch likes this.
  15. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    cant remember if i answered this or not. it grows wild out here, when it does, an when i see it i cut it down. got very little of it, if at all. i cant say one way or another, how they eat eat, but i do know, i dont want it in hay, or even in a field.. i been chopping at it for a while.. maybe a decade. the mole bean plants grow on top of the hill, and they got close too it once, but didnt eat at it. different kinds of chocolate, are harder on dogs. i'd say look that up online. better a live dog, that a dead one, should it be family..
    as far as horses go, they cant throw up.. so what they ingest, stays with them. i only seen one horse die this way. its like the colic this way. indigestion, twisted bowel. ya can stick a water hose on the other side, like an enema, an hope it clears the track out, but it seldom works..
    horses just like to eat, an eat, an eat,, grazing animals. if ya own one, then ya got an aminal, that will just eat... some like milkweed, others dont. best to get rid of the milkweed, than the eating machine, most of the time.. some horses are a blast. they are like joker's, like to poke fun, least to them. but are true, when they aint joking.
    the red one, in the avatar, gets her feelings hurt, when ya laugh at her,.,, she gets mad too..
    which picture shows the Monarch Butterfly?,, just in case i seen one.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019