Does KY have issues with Activist Judges re: poaching?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Here in Indiana we have problems with Judges that simply don't take wildlife lawbreaking seriously. A notorious Judge here in Jefferson county was so indifferent to undersized/over limit fishing cases, for example, that C.O.s were pulling their hair out. He was bad with deer cases as well--the worst example was a guy that shot a 20 plus point buck during archery season with a rifle on public land. He worked out a plea deal where the offender not only got the weapon and the vehicle back, he got the ANTLERS as well after paying a piddly fine. He would even suggest plea deals and argue points of the case ( how can you be sure he was after deer? he said he was coon hunting!). Recently, in Franklin co. I believe, a dude got caught red-handed poaching a large buck. He also got the antlers back. Frustrated C.O.s argued--quite logically, I think-- that giving the antlers back was no different than handing a bag of money back to a bank robber. Stolen is stolen! In Indiana the judge has wide latitude in determining penalties. Is it the same in Kentucky?

2. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    may depend on who ya know, though, for the most part, i dont think so..

3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    i have posted this before and not sure if it was judges decision of KDFWR decision but I reported a guy for months for shooting turkeys with a rifle during turkey season over feed. He also always starts rifle season a couple weeks early for deer. He was caught that year by F&W officer dragging a 6 point buck out of the field with 22/250 in hand 2 days before gun season started and he only had to pay $150 dollar fine to get his gun back!!! Makes me sick!! I lost all trust in the F&W process after that.

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just another reason to get out and vote, that’s pretty much the only way we can change stuff like this.

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    This stuff causes people to handle things with violence

6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    And yet a woman I know was arrested for filming her husband's turkey hunt. Yep, dragged out of her blind at gunpoint, frisked to the point of being a gynecological exam, and arrested. Judge threw it out because she didn't even have a freakin' gun, just a camera in the blind with her. Turns out her husband's ex had called KDFWR and fed them all kinds of stories about her poaching everything under the sun! Rather than admitting they were wrong, they arrested her anyway... The judge reportedly threw an absolute fit when there was absolutely no evidence whatsoever of wrongdoing, other than the word of a jealous ex-wife!

FOWLER2671, JR in KY and barney like this.
  7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    And this is why , the red flag laws ,won’t work the way they think.Thats all it will take ,some idiot with a grudge against someone.

8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I had two stands and a camera stolen that year off of a farm that I hunt that borders the one he was caught on. I have no proof but would bet my pinky toe it was that son of a bitch. If I would have caught him out in the woods somewhere that year I would have likely left him beat half to death in a ditch.

Carl likes this.
  9. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I'm going to bet "Buddy" will ring a bell to you.

10. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Should be penalties,..but I think taking trucks etc is at least inconsistent / disproportionate. People do great harm to other people everyday and don't get there damn 4x4 trucks, 4 wheelers, etc... confiscated and guns snatched up. Shoot a whatever out of season and the law dogs want to throw them under the jail,...much like I think the right to own any gun age/drafting age/drinking age should all be the same age. I don't agree with laws that allow drafting at 18 but then tell you that you can't do this and can't do that. Pick a lane and get in it.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I turned in a dude for hunting/killing a turkey in youth season, and tresspassing. It was at least the third time I had caught him tresspassing. I saw them shoot the bird, on my friends farm, at least 1/4 mile from property lines. There was no mistake, and he knew exactly what he was doing. He was in the military, and had the attitude that he could do anything he wanted.... He told me that he and his friend were about to leave for Afghanistan(which was a lie), and they wanted to get in a hunt before they left. He was charged with all three offenses, and his buddy was charged with tresspassing and hunting out of season. When they went to court, the judge was ready to penalize them heavily. Brass from Ft. Campbell showed up in court, and spoke up on their behalf, and charges were dropped. Pissed me off.

12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    As long as we have wishy washy penalties, nothing will change.

13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I’m reported several people and some repeat offenders and useless to report

14. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Sounds like it's about as bad down there as it is in Indiana!

15. Fanattic78

Fanattic78 Spike

Dec 19, 2017
    Hancock
    We have a county prosecutor that won't bring charges against a guy who shot at least 7 deer that they had proof of last season. Three big bucks to try and win a deer contest, oh and by the way is a convicted felon. Our local DNR had 80 man hours tied up in the evidence along with sworn affidavit's of four people. Nothing has been done at all sickens me that this guy is still out there and got away with it. What you you expect from him this year.