Doe Estrus

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by waterfowlerted, Nov 3, 2018.

1. waterfowlerted

waterfowlerted Fawn

Nov 30, 2016
    I'm not a big fan of artificial attractants other than mock scrapes, but was wondering everyone else's opinions regarding Doe in Heat/estrus attractants. I have used them before and generally feel they are a waste of time and effort, but I'm hoping maybe you all can share some experiences that may prove may change my mind. The theory behind them is great... But can you really just hang a scent stick in a tree? Do they only work when you create a drag? My friends think I'm nuts for not using them, but I generally work under the old time theory of food, cover, and wind and usually do ok; but I'm always open to improving my odds. What's your all's thoughts?

2. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    I’ve seen some bucks be curious of them but most I’ve seen turn and run away. So I keep my money.

davers likes this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Tried them many years ago. Never had them work. So I save my money now.

davers likes this.
  4. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Save your money and go buy you a pair of merino wool socks. Thats
    money well spent.They will keep your feet warmer and the longer
    you sit in the woods the more the odds flip in your favor to see that
    monster buck.

carnivore and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I used to use them but have not for years now. I have much better luck hunting areas with a lot of doe activity. The real thing works much better.

6. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    I have had many a bucks come straight to the scent wicks soaked in special golden estrus. This is the only one I have had work. It also seems if I hang a couple wicks with it on each side of where i'm hunting I have never been busted by a buck during the rut. I guess the scent is so strong it covers the human scent. So I mostly use them as a cover scent in that aspect.

7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I prefer to use buck pee or real buck tarsal glands..

elkaholic likes this.
  8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Only urine I use that works every time and I mean every time is a mock scrape with my own urine.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Manufacturers of “training” scents for hounds have been trying to peddle similar stuff for years. The majority of hound folks I’ve ran across or read come to the conclusion that animals leave scent molecules via the glands on their body and not through urination.

You fellas can apply that to doe or buck piss and come to your own conclusion.

I’m going to save my money. I think the money on merino socks suggestion above is pure gold.

Meatstick and Cornpile like this.
  10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I post on my boots an.pant legs the a few drips of doe in heat on the soles of my boots.
    Kinda stinks setting in the stand

11. kc4sox

kc4sox 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2014
    London Kentucky
    Here is my take on using scents of any kind. I’ve hunted deer for 45 years so fwiw I don’t use them. Deer communicate via scent and they know every deer in their home range. Each deer has a unique scent that the other deer are capable of distinguishing. Introducing a “New” deer to the mix puts the others on guard. I believe it works more as an alarm to them than an attractant. I have more times than not seen deer stop in their tracks at a scent trail I had laid down smell and turn the other way. Scents have worked against me too many times for me to use them. YMMV

ETA: If you always hunt the wind correctly the deer will never smell the scent anyway.

OLE RASPY likes this.
  12. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    I have seen young bucks check it out. I have put trail cams on scrapes and poured scent in them only to have mature bucks stop using the scrape or go completely nocturnal. Since stopping use I have seen far more deer than I ever did using it. Also have you ever seen any animals pee that is brown? I quit when I noticed a hot doe I killed then field dressed and extracted the contents of the bladder for free urine was clear to slight yellow and smelled nothing like that bottled stuff. As urine breaks down it turns brown. So guys save your money that brown “estrus” pee is trash. Your best bet is find where the does bed and hunt back off the trails going in to bedding area Mr big can smell them down wind and doesn’t need to be anywhere near the bedding area. I try to find that spot where a couple trails intersect leading to the bedding and set up in that area with a good wind.

muddhunter likes this.
  13. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I stopped using scents long time ago for deer hunting. It just don’t work. My opinion but I wanna believe it’s a fact.
    Only thing I do is use a grunt call. I do know this works at the right time.

14. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    I've seen bucks respond better than does. Does just wander off not wanting anything to do with it. Had a couple does come in close Friday night and when 1 of them hit the wind just right she perked up and did 1foot stomp and then fed walking back where they came. Bucks are more curious and will investigate more than does. The one scent does tolerate the most has been conquest, the stuff smells like a deer bedding area. They just carry on there business and don't spook.

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I get pictures off mock scrapes but it's normally only night pics just to see what is trolling. I use my own pee to attract them. I'm willing to share it at a minimum cost if you want some.

invasion36 likes this.