Do you wish we had a Veterans season next weekend??

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Feb 2, 2020.

1. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    This is a good idea.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  2. B.M. Barrelcooker

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    This kid is a smarter than a lot of us. #emptygreyskiessuck

3. B.M. Barrelcooker

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    And are we talking about Vets as a whole or specifically combat veterans or "in theater" veterans?

Cause I know a couple of guys that were in the coast guard and a few that were boy scouts that would jump on a veterans hunt.

4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

Being that my grandfather was both a colonel in the Army Air Force (AAF) and United States Air Force (in on the creation of our USAF, serving out thereafter), while much later liaison for all branches of military to our Commander-in-Chief, I can say with confidence that he would tell you all veterans, regardless of branch, rank, assignments. The idea is to both recognize and appreciate individual sacrifices via dedicated service and commitment to our country, bringing all together again.

I like the idea of having the children meeting with our fine veterans. I believe that such is important and that our veterans would be a positive influence upon the children, while showing them how all is done; likewise, I believe the children's interest can have a positive influence upon our veterans. That stated, I believe that our veterans deserve and can greatly benefit from time alone with one another each year. Duly considering all, I support the idea of having the children with our veterans the first weekend at the end of season to hunt, and our veterans alone to themselves to hunt the following weekend. If the children become fine veterans themselves one day in the future, they will have then earned the right to hunt that final weekend alone together; such will serve as an incentice to them. When time permits, I intend to make some calls regarding the matter.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    The Feds granted it for any and all Veterans. Read the David Petraeus post and you will notice that currently less then 2% of our Citizens serve this Nation....

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

Do you stand there with silent rage as some old codger with a Veterans hat on gets 10% of his biscuit at Hardees...?

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I just spoke to an "old codger", and he told me that I had accidentally conflated two of his many childhood hunts into one. My father corrected me, stating that the time he "...had two squirrels pinned down in one tree and knocked one out of it, only to be bitten while eyeing the other..." was a different hunt. He said that another hunt was when a man's boy was along for it, deep within the woods at a cabin where they lodged. The man had told his son, "Now you just go on down those tracks, maybe 1-1.5 miles and shoot all you want".

My father, a boy himself, accompanied his childhood friend. About halfway down, the boy cried out, "Daaaady, Daaaaaaaaady, I'm lost", and my father replied to his friend, annoyed, "No you're not, I'm right here with you". My father said they spotted some squirrels, but that his friend turned to him and said, "..., I can't do it". I inquired as to whether the young boy lacked the stomach for such, and my father said, "Affirmative", adding that his childhood friend never did become a hunter, regardless of how many times he had been taken along for such.

He added that his childhood friend never left that small city directly beside the river, remaining there to this very day. The city has been dying a slow death for many decades. He mentioned that I have previously met the man. I cannot recall which one he may happen to be, and so we will simply have to pay a visit to the man, maybe this spring. That should prove highly entertaining, being that I intend to broach the subject.

I told him about you and what you have been looking to accomplish for veterans, in the way of this thread. Such pleased the colonel, and he fully supports your efforts. He continues to nicely heal, messing with everyone in the process, as is his way.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  8. B.M. Barrelcooker

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I just puked a little bit.

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I did that once, after a man accidentally spit his dipping tobacco into the wrong soft drink bottle, while driving down the road. It took me about 20 minutes with my head hanging outside the window, just like a dog, before I regained my composure. Try that and you will feel better after a few hours. Needless to say, the man never used that nasty stuff around me again.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  10. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Nope. As a grown man, I don't bitch about what kids get, either.

Brsutton86 and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    If I see a small child grabbing merchandise in a store, whining to a parent that it is wanted, I quietly observe, and if the parent fails to properly discipline that child for the demand, I then politely speak.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  12. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    This could be a thread within itself. “Things the guberment gives away”

13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    A good morning to you, Lord Bowfinger. Nothing was given to Granddaddy, as he flew his B-17 Bomber and brave men over Normandy on D-Day but intense firepower, I can assure you. He was Eighth Air Force at the time, and here is a speech from General Patton to the Third Army the night before my granddaddy's mission, which may assist you in further understanding. My grandfather flew 33 combat missions, over and above what was required to return safely home, which of course he willing did in your defense, as well as all. I have his diary from that time period, as well as one of his flight maps from over Germany and more. I can further assure you that he gave much more than he ever received from our government, and fortunately he did not sacrifice his life, although obviously willing to do so, as so very many selflessly did for us, may God rest their precious souls. Sprechen sie Deutsch?

https://www.whatsoproudlywehail.org/curriculum/the-meaning-of-america/speech-to-the-third-army

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Well, We can be sure that You certainly did not earn it......!

15. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    You tell me how to parent my own child, someone is damn sure getting disciplined.....