Do you wish we had a Veterans season next weekend??

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Feb 2, 2020.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The tradition of hunting has always been a legacy born out of necessity typically passed down from generation. If you didn’t hunt, you didn’t eat. There was no earning anything, hunting was just a lifestyle. Only until recently (the passed hundred years or so) has modern man been able to survive without hunting. So there was no earning the right to hunt. There was hunting and therefore surviving and the only other option was eventual death.

And who is going to determine what it takes “earn” the right to hunt?

Giveem3outdoors and Bowfinger like this.
  2. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm referring to giving kids all the advantages? First to hunt Turkeys, first gun hunt for deer, getting to hunt after the birds have rested(Most seasons) for a week.... Let them learn life lessons and actual reality that you don't get an easy hunt every time.... When you hone your skills and gain the experience to actually make those easy results Look easy; Then they will have earned it and appreciate it more!

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  3. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Sadly it takes some success to get the kids excited about any sport. I guarantee you they get more satisfaction as they master a video game as opposed to sitting in a cold muddy duck blind looking at empty skies and listening to the grumpy old farts talk about how the good ol days were.

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    So a grown man is complaining about what kids get. Noted.

5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    We will just agree to disagree. I’ve been hunting and subsequently around other hunters my whole life. I have never heard a hunter say that we need to make hunting more difficult for youth, so they’ll appreciate hunting more.

Here’s the problem nowadays. We can’t get youth inspired or interested enough in hunting to even get them in the woods. And somehow making it more difficult and providing them with less of an opportunity is somehow going to make them appreciate that which they don’t even know or have experienced yet??? That inherently doesn’t makes sense.

Meatstick, Bowfinger and BootsOn27 like this.
  6. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Just a point to consider.......He is a noted Duck blind Chef of distinction and may feel that the meal alone is worth the trip. I get that.

7. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I am a fried honey bun connoisseur. I need an invite to grade his culinary skills.

8. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    I get where you're coming from. Show them the real world. No fluff to it. And they will undoubtedly learn that way, IF you can keep them committed. And that's where having some success from the beginning stages comes in. My first hunt I was 11 at the time and we killed atleast a dozen and I was hooked....like couldn't sleep for the anticipation of when I would get to go again. But that doesn't mean I haven't grown to learn and appreciate the difference between duck hunters, and those who enjoy to shoot ducks...And that line becomes blatantly obvious usually when it's time to work on the blind or pick up dekes. I'm a strong supporter of the halloween season. Let the kids get out and get into a few while the weather is still nice. They won't care a bit if its a hen shoveler they shoot as opposed to a big fat greenhead. All that matters is they had a little SUCCESS.

Brsutton86 and B.M. Barrelcooker like this.
  9. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    After reading this thread its obvious I'm letting my daughter off the hook on many things. So, I'm going home today and throwing out all her clothes, bed, and toys. She hasn't earned a thing in her 2.5 years on this earth. That'll teach her to get her act together.

10. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Better yet, toss her out. It will take less effort and you can have a fire sale on the stuff, further financing your hobbies. She will thank you in the long run.

11. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    The kids should get every advantage possible. Get them hooked. The years fly by and soon enough the youth are wearing Sitka and mean mugging selfies. Seriously though get them hooked and they'll get to the grind as they go. Very few grown men would be selfish enough to disagree with that.

BootsOn27, hunt-4-life21 and gung like this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I agree with all in which you have expressed within your thread, and I can assure you that the colonel would, as well. He had unexpected surgery today, three abscessed teeth removed, developed due to the recent skull injury, which has nicely healed. He took it like the exceedingly tough ole bird he happens to be, with no anesthesia, just locals and is now recovering. Due to such, I shall wait to ask him to recite an old story that he has relayed to me countless times over the years, simply to ensure I get all correct.

It is in reference to hunting here in Western Kentucky, when he was a young boy. His friend's father used to take him out squirrel hunting, before developing an interest in duck/geese hunting. The man's son was a little crybaby, I do recall, and along for this particular hunt. My father shot a squirrel, it dropped, and as he reached down for it heard yet another, causing him to look up into a tree, just as he had gripped his squirrel. His squirrel, unbeknownst to him, was still alive with fight and bit into his hand. They were deep within the woods, blood everywhere, serious pain, and all had to hike back to the man's truck. All they had was kerosene in the bed of the truck, which the man poured onto my father's wound; that made all hurt even worse, but he did not cry. It's his crybaby friend's antics and words during the hunt that I intend to ask him to remind me about, because I wish to correctly quote him.

I recall when my father removed my bicycle training wheels. I fell after only three turns of the wheels. Frightened, I asked him to replace my training wheels. He sternly refused. I then gave him my best little girl pout and cry (I was five years old). The former drill sergeant showed me no mercy, at all, which hurt my feelings. It was moments later that I rode my bike without falling, which made both of us extremely happy. I was then capable of riding with all of the other older children on the block, less embarrassed by my training wheels, and my confidence later grew with each following obstacle in life, because my father never spoiled me, when I thought that I deserved it, and I am thankful to the tough ole bird, now. He always treated his men in the army the same way, no mercy.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  13. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Confused was he a sergeant or colonel?? Buck or full bird??

B.M. Barrelcooker likes this.
  14. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Easy now we've never been a bunch to let the truth get in the way of a good story.

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Sergeant before making lieutenant colonel. He was to have made full bird like granddaddy, but he had too many responsibilities preventing him from departing out of state one time, myself being one of many, later learning having not done so was the only reason having prevented the promotion. He was telling the surgeon that story just yesterday. You can post the opening speech of Full Metal Jacket, if you want a reminder about not being spoiled (they got off lucky with only a few weeks at basic training, I assure you). I will be checking in on him later today to see how he is coming along and may be able to make inquiry about the crybaby then, but will probably opt for later.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020