Do you wish we had a Veterans season next weekend??

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Feb 2, 2020.

1. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    You really do hate everybody Bowfinger. That has become obvious.

Bowfinger and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  2. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    bingo

3. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Let's not forget the THOUSANDS of acres on Campbell the military has access to that civilians don't.

Pandering has to stop at some point

Wampuscat and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  4. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Unless something has changed you can hunt that. It was my stomping grounds for spring thunder chickens back in the day.

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've tried many, many times. Active duty and vets get first dibs, I've never been able to hunt it because of that. I am fine with it but as I said, at some point, the pandering has to stop.

Bowfinger likes this.
  6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    If that's your definition of going Nuclear then You have lived a sheltered life....LOL!

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’d say there’s probably a fair amount of veterans that also have “punk kids” as you described them. I’d think those folks would be less likely to pledge support in calling their commissioners.

Maybe the kid just didn’t want to hunt because they had a better opportunity somewhere else. Most ground folks would do the same thing. It could be a once a year opportunity.

8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

The single reason we DON'T have a draft is because enough people are willing to step up and fill the slots in an all volunteer force...

Pandering it is not.

If not for those folks, Your number may well have come up.... You might keep that in mind.

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    They went arrow head hunting.... I doubt the stones were very likely to move..

Could be... I say that with some degree of jest as I have taken kids on the Youth hunts every time I have had the chance. I have had a few cancelations due to low grades etc. One friend's son had an archery tourney on Sat and he did not want to skip Church on Sunday, But he was on other hunts with us in January..

But I also grew up with an attitude of not looking a gift horse in the mouth.... No Youth days at all when I was growing up. We could buy a $5 hunting license and no fishing lic until 16... That was it.

I am not against a Youth hunt obviously but would like to see a Veterans Hunt as YES it has been Earned, not just gifted ..

HuntressOfLight and DH13 like this.
  10. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    If it’s sound science to let folks hunt after January then they should shift the general season accordingly and give active duty folks extra time on the front end.

We should continue to give youth hunters the best opportunity at a hunt that will hook them for life.

Bowfinger and B.M. Barrelcooker like this.
  11. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Give kids everything and they appreciate nothing...... If they earn it, it actually means something.

Carl, DH13 and HuntressOfLight like this.
  12. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I mostly agree.

We’re talking 16 and younger. They can’t drive or legally purchase a gun/ammunition. The whole operation of a youth hunt seems like a “guided” experience to me and I would hardly consider that earned.

In full disclosure, I’m biased. I have kids that’s I would like to see get hooked. An extra weekend here and there isn’t going to do that, but it does open up opportunities that wouldn’t exist otherwise.

13. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Explain

14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

In reply to Headed West wanting the kids to have the best hunting of the year??? They don't need to be spoiled from the start. Like I said, Don't look a gift horse in the mouth....