Do you wish we had a Veterans season next weekend??

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Feb 2, 2020.

1. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Looks like the “well timed” survey results will be discussed December 4th...I hope I’m wrong, but I’d say the decision has been made.

I took the survey and it felt like the classic parenting options...”Do you want Option A or Option A phrased as Option B? Your choice little buddy!”

https://fw.ky.gov/Documents/2020-December-4-Commission-Meeting-Agenda.pdf

FOWLER2671 and BootsOn27 like this.
  2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Yeah, I took it as well. You are correct in the phrasing. It was kinda silly.

HeadedWest and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  3. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I posted the abbreviated version of the agenda...will correct the link.

Looks like a commission members voiced concerned of reducing opportunity for youth.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  4. TBo

TBo Spike

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    No way! No youth either. Take them with you in regular season.

5. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    From watching the Zoom Meeting it appears that we will have a Veterans day hunt possibly in February with Youth on Saturday and Vets on Sunday!!

6. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I didn’t watch but like I said, the decision had already been made.

It’s all about the youth, until you know, it’s not. Pathetic.

BootsOn27 and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  7. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    What's wrong with allowing Vets an extra weekend?

8. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I see what ya did there...

I need to watch the meeting. I’m very thankful for that option the department has provided.

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm happy to see a Veterans weekend! I'll proudly take advantage! But I have also been very supportive of taking others Vets AND I have taken many kids over the years, Several of the kids can re join me as they are now Veterans!

It appears that the kids may lose a Sunday if this is implemented in this fashion this year? The proposal appears to be TWO extra weekends; One Before the T Day opener and one after in Feb. Both occasions have the kids hunting on Saturday and the Vets on Sunday. I hear some complaints about the kids being busy with games on Saturdays. Maybe have one weekend flip flop with the vets hunting Sat and the kids on Sunday?

Another option would be the first weekend in Feb Sat/Sun for the kids and the second weekend in Feb for the Vets?

10. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016

36:45 to 1:23.00

When you distill it down, the solution is to take opportunity from children and give them to veterans.

I respect Mr. Brunjes idea that we are mitigating risk of a poor hunt day by eliminating zones and allowing any kid to hunt local and bookend the main season but I’d have to agree with Commissioner Jones that February days are the best days. We on the eastern end of the state head west. If my boys want to go, I will still take them for one day. But, I assure you that most years they will have rather stayed and hunted another day than “slept in”.

11. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

They lose one day this year but they lose it to People WHO HAVE EARNED IT!! When I was a 14 year old I couldn't hunt regular season Saturdays BECAUSE I was washing and greasing dump trucks to get ahead on my bank payments for when the bad weather hit and the trucks stopped working. No yute season back then...

They don't lose any more days past this one day in Feb.

12. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    With this proposal they lose two days.

Man, I know you could give a rats ass about my opinion, but you act more entitled than any youth I’ve taken.

My point I’m of all of this is that ALL sportsman (except for you, you grinch) seem to promote opportunities for youth.

Doug Morgan’s quote on the departments page:

"Youth involvement is very important, and one of my goals during my term is to enhance opportunities for youth to utilize the outdoor resources in their communities.”

Josh Lillard quote on the departments page:

“I’m very excited for the opportunity to represent my fellow sportsmen and sportswomen of the Fifth District and for the opportunity to work closer with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources to help promote the outdoor activities that I have grown to love in our great state,” Lillard said. “I hope to inspire others to continue to pass on our traditions of fishing, hunting and trapping to the youths of the Fifth District so that one day they can pass these traditions on to their own children.”

BOTH of these commissioners voted to REMOVE opportunities for youth. It really is that simple. 4 potential days reduced to 2. Period.

13. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Also, a child in your similar situation would essentially have no youth season as well because he would have to work on the ONE day he was legally allowed to hunt.

BootsOn27 and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  14. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I have all the respect in the world for veterans. That being said any veteran alive today is a grown man. And very very few grown men would be interested in taking days away from youth to benefit themselves.