Do you shoot a rage? May want to see.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by allseasonhunter, Nov 14, 2016.

1. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    If you shoot a rage you may want to see this. This deer was shot on Thursday and tracked with ruby on Friday not to be found. The reason, a broad head that didn't work. The deer was slightly quatered away and the shot was where it needed to be, BUT the broad head failed to enter. It went inside the hide and hit the last rib. It then proceeded to glance off only leaving a nasty cut between the hide and ribcage. He was shot and killed Sunday with a rifle. I'm not trying to stir the pot just showing what can happen. Rage heads keep my dog busy. This is not the outcome you want on a 154 inch deer.

2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I do not use mechanical heads but don't see a picture or video attached??

3. slyfly76

slyfly76 6 pointer

Mar 12, 2011
    It's not the heads it's the poor shots, you can a deer with a field point if the shot is good.

BigPete likes this.
  4. coach&hunt

coach&hunt 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2013
    Kentucky
    I have always used the shwacker due to the fact it is proven on angling shots, which are the norm for my bow hunting experiences.

Smokinya1 likes this.
  5. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    Hope the pic loads this time. A slightly quartering away shot isn't a bad shot. Neither is a slight quartering to shot. In this case head didn't do its job.

Attached Files:

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    an angling shot with a mechanical is risky.

7. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Friend of mine lost a buck this year that he shot at 25 yds with a non mechanical broadhead. The deer was angling away at a 45 deg angle. He shoots a 70 lb bow. He hit the deer right at the last rib and mid body high. The arrow hit the deer exactly where you would have wanted. I know this because he had a GoPro on his bow and we were able to frame by frame the arrow hitting the deer. It was obvious the way the arrow kicked that he didn't get great penetration for some reason. We left that deer unbothered till the next morning. We went back and looked for 6 hours and only found a couple of drops of blood. There is nothing the guy should have done differently other than maybe not take an angling away shot. I used to think angling away shots were good... even preferably to broadside. After what I have seen in recent years I really don't want a deer at much of an angle and if he's angling away I want it to be so much that I can just tuck it in front of the ham. I just don't think that a row of ribs lined up and arrows mix very well and that is irrespective of what type of broadhead you shoot. Arrows just do funny things sometimes when they hit ribs. Rage broadheads get an artificially bad rap because so many people shoot them that there is just naturally going to be more lost deer with Rage because there are simply more shot with them. It's just the math of it.

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    rage are a love/hate product..There is no in between it seems. People either love them or hate them.

BowHunter20 likes this.
  9. Smokinya1

Smokinya1 Spike

Oct 8, 2015
    To

same here!

10. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Yea I have used them but wouldn't say that I love them. I'm not trying to be an advocate for them. I'm simply saying that a ton of people shoot them so there are going to be a lot of deer wounded with them. Absolutely any broadhead/arrow combination can have an unexpected result when shot at a large wild animal full of bones. It's that simple.

invasion36 likes this.
  11. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    X2....................

12. CentralKyHunter

CentralKyHunter 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2007
    Rage crossbow quartering away at a 30/45 degree angle.

Entry:
    [​IMG]

Exit:
    [​IMG]

30yd recovery

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Wouldn't that have been a quartering to shot if the exit is through the ham?

Tman6493 likes this.
  14. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    20161109_190656-753x572.jpg
    I shot my buck on the 9th luckily I recovered him but when I was caping him out I found my rage completely Undeployed. It was a hard quartering to shot.

15. Tman6493

Tman6493 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    What type are of rage. Did the hunter use them per instructions like correct weight correct arrow and properly setting up the blades on the arrow. I hit a doe in September with a rage hypodermic and it broke a rib in half on entrance and the cut was perfect. She didn't got 30 yards. On the back of the box it warns that if not shot with proper specifications it will possibly fail.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016