Do you own land that borders a WMA?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Kentucky Charlie, Nov 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kentucky Charlie

Kentucky Charlie Fawn

Mar 18, 2019
    Henry County KY
    How do you deal with trespassers? For years now i get people trespassing off of WMA. Even going into my barn and stealing things.

It is getting worse every year. Ive called KYFW who dismiss it as "we cant control what people do" or call police but police don't show up for trespassing out here.

So frustrating

2. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    I would go on wma property side and see if borders are properly marked. Signs blow down, yellow paint fades. You might have to put up your own markers if state won't do it. That way trespassers have no excuse.

3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Put an obnoxious amount of no trespassing signs up

Gforcetrivers and Lady Hunter like this.
  4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I have been on wmas where the neighbors put up a hundred signs and even run engineer tape from tree to tree. Thought it was ridiculous at first but I can see where it could be a problem.

RLWEBB likes this.
  5. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    8 or 10 strands of heavy barb wire stretched nice and tight will slow em down.

6. Danno

Danno Fawn

Oct 20, 2020
    Jefferson county
    Some hilarious videos on YouTube with folks getting paint bombed, trip wire hooked up to paintball grenades. Signs everywhere, clearly marked, one hunter even looked at the signs and scoffed, then..... bang. Not really sure how our state would look upon that.

7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    We do. Had jackasses come over and turn cams upside down and take cards. Plenty of border signs around.
    Nothing you can do, just hope those type of ppl get in a bad car wreck on the way home.

8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    and the deer

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Our farm backs up to Taylorsville... The kid used to like to go "walk the property lines" after getting his deer. He told a lot of folks they needed to get back on the WMA over the years, including a couple of guys who'd set up a popup blind over on us. He stuck his head in & told 'em that if they were gonna trespass, the least they could do is share a cup of coffee. He got a cup of coffee & then helped them move their blind back onto the WMA.

Some years are worse than others. USUALLY we only have a few folks pushing the issue (and the part of the farm nearest the WMA isn't the most accessible from either side since about half the hillside slid off into the stream many years ago) but one year, it went friggin' insane. There were people blocking the road the farm is on with their trucks & trailers, fences everywhere got run over by them, and conservation officers were chasing them all over every farm out there.

10. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    Use to hunt farm surrounded by WMA we finally had game warden hunt on days off trespassing went down hill fast

11. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    It also stops deer on your property from going there....

12. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    I wish i did join a WMA. That would be free lease on a lot of good hunting. Post a sign every ten feet on the border, then when you catch them prosecute. Word gets out fast. Bordering a wma in many places means easy access to remote spots the public cannot easily access= good hunting !

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I would try to build a reputation as the crazy landowner who shoots at trespassers(not that you should shoot trespassers but if they think you will they probably will pick elsewhere to sneak on)

14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    The ones coming in from the WMA are the least of our concerns in all honesty. The neighbors who's kids keep vandalizing stuff out there & who have tried to take over part of our property while leaving their poached deer laying on us are the bigger issues....

15. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Where are you all from? I know you said your farm backs up to tville but do you live near your farm?