Do you hunt with a Shotgun or a Rifle during the KY Firearm Season?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billproxs, Aug 4, 2011.

1. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I shoot a Model 70 Winchester in either .270 or .243. I have also carried a Thompson Center Endeaver with a 7mm Mag barrel attached during rifle season.

2. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Not laughing here, as I used a Remington Model 788 in .30-30 for several years & I regretted selling that rifle. Now I use either my .308 or .270 & sometimes, in heavy brush, my Ruger 77/44.

3. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    I'm glad you don't either. I'd hate to step in the crap your high horse leaves behind.:D

4. johnky

johnky 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2011
    Loretto ky
    Rem 700 bdl 30-06 or 7mm may.most of the time 30-06 is first choice.

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Mossberg 835, but in Indiana.

6. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    savage 300 wsm for me. mathews switchback xt is hanging right next to it though, just in case they get in range! :eek:

7. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Either my 30-06 or 30-30. The 336 30-30 is quickly becoming my favorite of the two

8. B.G.O. of Kentucky

B.G.O. of Kentucky 12 pointer

Nov 19, 2002
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    Same here, I don't even have a scope on my rifle. :) I'll still be out there with the bow. I like bowhunting during gun season, so many people in the woods gets the big boys stirred up even more! :)

9. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

I have used both. Now days i use my 270 Marlin. But up until a few years ago, I didnt hesitate a bit to take the slug gun out.

10. JBeauchamp

JBeauchamp Fawn

Sep 4, 2010
    27 feet up a tree
    Im the same as JDMiller, I hunt with a TC pistol also, I use a 357 max, 14 inch barrel with a scope on it. Close rang is great but if I need to I can step out there at 100the yards and drop one. Have yet to shoot one more then 18 yards with it.

11. I once tried to get off my high horse...
    'bout broke my leg.
    All joking aside, the "heathern" comment was only funny to me i suppose as I classify myself as being one and a daily basis.
    I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity to hunt private land, and if I didn't have the opportunity, you would see me on most WMA's in my area.

12. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Gonna try something different this year. Ive been deer hunting for nearly 30 years now and have never taken one with a bow. I got serious this year about it and picked up a cherry switchback xt. Gonna leave the rifle at home this year, but if push comes to shove the late muzzleloader season might see me with the smokepole.

13. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    I generally bow hunt only during all of the season but have been known to throw some lead at'em with a shotgun if I have a place to gun hunt. The WMA's near me are all bowhunting only so thats where I mainly hunt. I figured during modern gun pressure in the bow only areas would be less but it sure hasn't been that way the last few years. It's mostly out of state hunters that I guess come to KY to hunt public land during the rut. I was supprised the last few years though at all the out of state plates even at WMA's that aren't really known at all as good big buck spots.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Right now for me.... 75-100 yds is'nt out of the question at paper targets LOL... but as someone else eluded to..... the deer I've killed with this & other handguns ...been easy bow shots...most around 25-30 yds.

You just have consider your hunting with weapon thats range is kinda in between bowhunting & traditional muzzleloading rifle. Its more suited to hunting stands in timber where your not provoked to shoot beyond your limitation. Personally..... all my stands are set-up for archery hunting...with the exception of a couple.... so I just approach hunting with a handgun ...the same as bowhunting. I know I've got a certain distance I'm comfortable taking the shot...and the closer the better. Factor in the rut with modern gun. ... be patient and everything will fall in place.

I also cant elaborate the need for a good rest. You aint seen shaky until your looking through an extended eye relief scope...and your field of view is cut back substantially. On this barrel its topped with a 2x Redfield...and I'm still working out the bugs on an adjustable monopod type rest I've been using. Actually I'm better off now then I was when I started handgun hunting...the rest side of things have come a long way.

15. waterwolf

waterwolf Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Floating on Cave Run
    I use to hunt bow-only, that was before wife, kids, job, farm, etc... 7mm rem. 700, winchester 1300 slug gun for ky and ohio, ruger 44, cva smokepole, crossbow, whatever i can legally carry. I prefer slugs for my terrain and brush.