Do you fall turkey hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Duster, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I don't mean just the occasional one you may take a shot at one with bow and arrow but go after them with a firearm. The lack of fall turkey kill numbers is the reason I ask. I don't know of anyone who goes after them with a firearm in fall. I have killed a couple with bow and arrow over the years but it was just right place right time type thing.

2. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Yes. I didn't this season but I normally do. No better time to hear the full turkey vocabulary. Before anyone ask, yes, I have called in gobblers that came gobbling and strutting in December!

Dark Cloud and OLE RASPY like this.
  3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I used to. Enjoyed it alot. The farm that i hunted most of the time fall turkey was sold, and i can no longer hunt it. Populations around me have became almost none existent, so i leave them alone in the fall now.
    I hunted them by calling them in, and also by busting flocks up and calling to rejoin.
    Was always a fun hunt.

4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I have killed several with a bow while deer hunting, and killed one carrying a shotgun on a scouting mission. I have never went to the woods specifically to turkey hunt in the fall seasons.

5. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Nope, they don't gobble much in the fall and every one you kill is one less to hunt in the spring when they do gobble.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I guess most wouldn't kill a hen in the fall. Is that not why the fall season is in for to take a few hen's out of the flock's ? I kill one once when cleaned look like a small chicken. Shot over a big hen at about 40 yards and arrow went thru it. Wife ask where I kill the chicken at...LOL.

7. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I normally target hens when I fall hunt, though I have killed a few gobblers then.

8. childersb24

childersb24 8 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    I love fall hunting. The spot I hunt holds them in the fall not in the spring

9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’ll kill a hen in fall if opportunity arises but my property in barren don’t hold fall birds. I did when I lived in Logan though. I like fall hunts on birds but spring is where it’s at with me.

10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Yes. I like it just as much as spring season. I've killed hens in the past but decided to only target gobblers and Jake's this year given the lack of birds I saw this past spring summer and fall in the area I was hunting.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Anyone ever hunt fall turkey with a flushing dog ? Bust up the flock and call them back together deal. They did it in Michigan at one time. Not sure if they still do or not.

12. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    i know they do in carolinas and they use Boykins for it

13. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Hate fall turkey hunting. I've killed a few in the fall but finally realized I don't like it. The gobbles is what makes me love it so much and there are basically none of those in the fall.

Tom Threetoes likes this.
  14. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ive been the dog many times. Its exciting when the plan works and comes together

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I have went a few times in the fall but not in the last 5 or 6 years.

My brother said a gobbler gobbled his head off yesterday morning at the farm. Started at daylight. Shock gobbling to a bunch of crows