Do we need more coyotes???

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Multidigits, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Did anybody know that the Dept. OKs and writes permits for 'importing coyotes and red foxes" into Kentucky each year.

These are for various reasons, such as houndsmen and others. Some of the Commission didn't seem to happy about it and Gassett was asked to be prepared at the next meeting to provide more information on whom and why this is being permitted.

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I was floored when I heard that one today

3. Flintlock54

Flintlock54 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Winchester, KY, USA.
    First I heard about it was in the C-H public forum. I might could understand the foxes for the chase folks but why in the world would anyone want a goat-stinking yote?

4. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

We've always thought coyotes moving to Kentucky was a natural expansion eastward of their range.
    Is this how it actually started, with somebody "stocking them"???
    Have permits actually been written to permit coyotes to be brought into Kentucky?? "Who's been watchin' the store??"

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Yes...they write permits to bring in Coyotes. Most in the room were shocked to say the least. The coyotes are tested by vet on all required tests. I asked about how smart this is with everything "unknown" about CWD and Coyotes likely being exposed to CWD by eatinga afllen deer or elk that may have had it. Of course, there is no known evidence that canines can carry the disease(at this time).

Gassett is supposed to provide "more information" to the Commission at the next meeting. It'll be interesting to see how many and who's doing it. But it's mainly dog handlers that used to run Foxhounds. I guess coyotes give a better chase. Seems like if their dogs are good, they shouldn't have much trouble finding one to run. Com. Gailor sure didn't seem to like the fact, and commented that if money wasn't a problem, he'd seek a bounty on their hides.

6. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    I hope you guys are kidding, we have been told by the KDFW for years that coyotes just expanded their range east. It never made any since to me because coyotes have been around since the beginning of time in the west. Then one day a few just decided to take a trip east and liked it here and stayed. When in fact it looks like they were stocked. I thought the KDFW had a position not to stock anything that was not native to Kentucky??? What a brain fart!! [:(!]

7. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I don't know anything about someone stocking them but the coyote is native to the entire North America. As the white man move east they killed them off like the elk, wolf, etc.

8. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    The Dept did not stock yotes, they do allow clubs to bring them in for field trials.

9. Flintlock54

Flintlock54 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Winchester, KY, USA.
    Wildcat:

The coyote is not native east of the Missisippi River. The first writings of the coyote were in the Northwest during fur trade era during the early and mid 1800's.

gsp:

Who runs field trails for coyotes?

10. GSP

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I was told that some of the houndsmen clubs were running yote trials

11. taggedout

taggedout 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2001
    ky, USA.
    I can't believe this came up this way. My wife works at a animal clinic in northern ky, last week they had a hound brought in that was hit by a car while chasing a coyote. She said they turn em loose and chase em on hourse back. I told her I knew what she was talking about and it was fox they were after, she insisted they turned coyotes loose to chase and I laughed. MAN AM I GOING TO EAT SOME CROW! I had an opportunity to hunt this area for deer it's only a few miles down the road from me. Talk about distroying the woods!

Grummybear