do we all agree with 1 buck limit?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shootermcgaven, Dec 12, 2008.

1. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    It's already been said.........the one buck limit is the primary reason we have so many more mature bucks in KY than we used to.
    I would love to have a 2nd tag for bow only, but as someone said this would likely have folks shooting the 1st "decent" buck before becoming selective. I know if I had a 2nd buck tag it would be much tougher to pass a young 15 inch 8 pointer in the early part of the season.

2. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    Back in '86 I actually killed 2 bucks with a bow one a 11pt the other a 10pt -- both were nice deer but I agree the one buck rule does help KY produce larger deer -- this season me not wanting to shoot anything small cost me a good deer because I couldn't make his headgear out before it was to late but I still believe in the system

3. huntmadd

huntmadd 8 pointer

Oct 2, 2003
    Henry,Kentucky, USA.
    One buck

Love the one Buck rule for Ky.If you want a chance at two or three all you have to do is sigh up for Quota hunts.Thats why we have does to shoot if there was a two buck rule no one would shoot does they would all be buck hunting.I no I don't need more than a couple deer to eat each season.

4. Thunder Head

Thunder Head 8 pointer

Yall have it good. It makes you think before you end your season. Here in Ga. theres a 2 buck limit. Lots of people shoot the first antlered buck they see. I wish we had a one buck limit here.

5. Carp Crippler

Carp Crippler 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    I think we should have a buck program!

6. Big_country

Big_country 6 pointer

Jul 16, 2007
    manchester ky
    What would have to happen is a physical check station, when you check in your doe the CO then gives you a antlered tag, then after recieving this tag if you kill a buck you could then use the telecheck... i dont know how it is in the western part of the state but here in eastern ky, there are too many young bucks killed, i have access to some pretty big farms here in eastern ky and i have yet to see any of them that are over populated with doe's. but very few of them have mature bucks.. they just dont get a chance to grow around here.;)

7. Joe Bryan

Joe Bryan 8 pointer

Jul 4, 2006
    Nelson County
    Poachers are going to do there thing regardless of the regulations!
    [​IMG]

8. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    A two buck system will always result in smaller bucks being killed because most guys would "get one under their belt", then hunt for a "good" buck with the last buck tag. This would also cause most guys to not kill a doe because two bucks would be all they wanted anyway. We now have close to a 50/50 kill ratio so we are doing great.

Im not a fan of the "earn a buck" at all. I think thats the dumbest thing thats ever been done. Also not a fan of the 15 in rule. Too many deer would be left in the woods because the spread wouldnt measure up. Then they would just shoot another buck until they killed one that does measure up.

The best tool is whats being done now. Limit the number of bucks killed. Maybe not perfect but as good as you can get and still make most people happy.

9. Thats good idea to or 16" state wide

10. It wouldnt hurt my fiillings if they closed it down for a few year to get the good bucks back.Or go back like it was bow starts in oct. an ends in dec.an do away with all thesse early firearm seasons. give the smokepoleers two days before or after modern firearm an do away with the youth hunts.an if they did close it down if someone got busted poachen make it a fed.charge or do that any way IMO.that would help cause who in there right mind would want to go to the big house over a danged ol deer.it mite or mite not work but it couldnt hurt eather

11. sa_hunt

sa_hunt Banned

Nov 3, 2008
    Magoffin County
    This is the dumbest thing I've seen posted. I agree with Wildman Wilson. All this does is get smaller deer killed. A lot of hunters will shoot first and walk over and see if it measures up just like he said. Also do you think a youth hunter really cares about the spread. Did you care about the spread when you first started hunting??? The system in place is the best there is to offer.

12. sa_hunt

sa_hunt Banned

Nov 3, 2008
    Magoffin County
    "do away with the youth hunts"?????? Are you serious??? We all know that some daddy's kill for their 3 yr olds who are shooting a .300 mag. but what about the youth that do it the right way??? The youth hunting is good, don't be jealous.

13. md2bintn

md2bintn Fawn

Sep 21, 2008
    Harrogate, Tn,
    :)

Although Kentuckys system may not be perfect, as few things ever are perfect. Your system is certainly better than across the line in Tennessee where I live. If only my home state would adopt the one buck rule, I might look forward to hunting at home a little more! Too bad TWRA is too blind to see what good herd management looks like!

14. Big_country

Big_country 6 pointer

Jul 16, 2007
    manchester ky

Hey Sa! are you trying to be a part of this discussion or just get on here and bash ppl... if you would have read the begining post. we are talking about from a management perspective, not just do away with stuff for good, the point was to get a better mature buck population in Ky not cut people out!:rolleyes: