do we all agree with 1 buck limit?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shootermcgaven, Dec 12, 2008.

1. shootermcgaven

shootermcgaven Fawn

Nov 21, 2008
    In the past in Kentucky you could harvest 1 buck with a bow. You were also able to harvest 1 buck with a gun. I personally enjoy the 1 buck tag system we currently have in place. Anyone feel differently and why?

2. peepsight

peepsight 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2007
    shepherdsville,ky
    i like the 1 buck system we have now.... if anyone wants to kill more than one buck in ky. there are many quota hunts to sign up for along with LBL and Fort Knox, and maybe even more that i'm not aware of. IMO.

3. lawmanbville353

lawmanbville353 6 pointer

Jun 11, 2005
    burkesville ky
    Seems to be working well.If we could just get rid of tele-poach,we would be in good shape!!!!!

4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.

One buck limit is by far the best thing that has been done to improve our hunting. Tell me how telecheck is to blame for anything. Does it somehow make a good man turn into a liar and a poacher? Most any system you have is an honor system. The one buck limit has been a good thing but there will always be some that think they are above the law and can do as they wish.

5. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

the one buck rule is definately the best thing KY's deer program has going for it. More folks are apt to pass on that first young buck that walks by in hopes of a bigger one later on. With multiple tags, alot of folks whack the first deer they see with antlers knowing they'll have another tag if a bigger one comes by. Now if we could figure a way to limit the buck harvest a little more and increase the doe harvest.

6. Willie

Willie 12 pointer

May 10, 2003
    Wasn't the two buck limit where both bucks coudl be killed with a gun? Even at the same time?

I don't think there was ever a requirement for them to be one with a bow and one with a gun???

7. deepfryum

deepfryum 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2008
    shelby co. ky

It may not make a good man a liar, but it is to easy to forget to call in. Now this is no way an excuse for not checking your animal in. Everyone is less apt to forget when you have to check it in in person. I personally have not done this but I have had to remind some to do it cause they have forgotten!

8. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    I personally love the one buck limit. I myself would even vote for a no buck year. I know thats not possible but man what a dream the next year. Only problem with a one buck limit is in most cases its turned into a 2 buck limit. How many folks do you know whos wife shoots the first buck each year?? Makes me sick at my stomach.

9. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Correct.

Does were either off limits with a gun or could be taken on the last day (days) of the modern firearm season as the years went by, depending on where you were.

10. crofton23

crofton23 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2007
    Blue Ridge GA
    I like the idea of one buck with a bow , and one buck with a gun. It has worked for years in illinois. Veteran bow hunters are only going to shoot mature bucks, and novice bow hunters success rate will be pretty low. Then againg if you go with two bucks you open up a whole new way to poach. Shoot two with a gun and say one was a bow kill. So i don't know the real solution. If everyone was honest two buck would be awesome, but since they're not i say stay to one buck unless we bring back check in stations.

11. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Maybe you will be the one that can finally explain to me how physical check in stations will stop people from poaching deer.

I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be).

12. pitbull270

pitbull270 6 pointer

Sep 3, 2007
    western Ky
    a no buck year is interesting? would it throw the balance of the herd off? it would be cool to have more big deer but i am not sure that is what would happen. I like the 1 buck system very much!!! i also like telecheck for its convenience to the ethical hunter. People are going to find ways to beat whatever system we have. i seriously doubt that bucks (or does) killed at night and/or on property that you dont have permission get reported. just my opinion....

13. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    I liked the check stations from the past. That being said, if a person does not want to check a deer they kill there is nothing to keep them from doing so with either system. People poached deer back in the check station days just like today. The check stations were more of a social thing and Tel-Check much more handy at least for me.

The one buck limit has been a good thing and I hope it stays that way, people that want to kill more deer can kill a few doe.

14. Big_country

Big_country 6 pointer

Jul 16, 2007
    manchester ky
    I myself like the 1 buck limit.. i would like to see zone's 3 and 4 go to a 15 inch spread limit.

15. TBone

TBone Fawn

Aug 21, 2008
    Tanyard, Ky
    I like the one buck limit as well...No way for the two bucks in my area...You seldom see a buck around here thats mature... I think a spread limit is a little confusing for some folks.. I like the thoughts of a 5 pt. or better rule for everyone but youths for a season... There is so many young spikes and 4 pointers killed each... I just think for one yr it would double your chances of seeing a slightley mature deer in the woods...