Do any of you live in a subdivsion and process your deer yourself in the garage?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ocbowhunter, Nov 28, 2014.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Got a Friend that did exactly the same, when he hunted Deer.

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I used to. No big deal. But check to see if you are in a homeowners association with a recorded declaration. If so, check the docs. In my line of work, I often get to send nastygrams on behalf of client associations when owners ruffle other owners' feathers.

3. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Here's a pretty good video. http://youtu.be/qSd53Cu7Izo

I learned how by watching a video that KDFWR put out. Not sure if it's still available or not.

4. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    My neighbors are always looking to see what kind of critters I have hanging up. I used to get funny looks but now they just laugh. I have a bracket in my garage ceiling and I hang a chain hoist on it.

sent from the doghouse

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Always take a couple coolers hunting with me. Skin, quarter and put in coolers on the spot. Cut and process in my garage. Take my time. Pour out bloody water and add ice as needed. Live in a big neighborhood in Lex. Guy across the street from me does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Boggs41076

Boggs41076 8 pointer

Oct 26, 2014
    Wolfe Creek, Ky
    You guys have a bunch of good ways of doing it, reading this post sure makes me glad I live in the head of the holler. Sometimes a man takes for granted something as simple as processing his own deer without a hassle.

Sent just after peeing off the porch...

7. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Glad I don't live in the city. People in the city are always in everyone's business. I guess some have nothing better to do than worry about a guy that likes to hunt and process his own deer.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I grew up in the middle of nowhere. Didn't know how I'd like Lex when I moved here 9 years ago. After being here a while it really doesn't seem that big. Plus I'm out in the country and hunting in 35 mins or less. As far as the being in everyone else's business I'd still love to have the country space and room to roam but big $$ that is anti-hunting and land hungry just for the sake of owning land has moved into where I grew up. Feel sorry for my parents having the neighbors they do now. My dad can't even target practice comfortably now since rich tree huggers bought the land beside him. Only plus is that their neighbors are further away than mine. Mine are tolerable for city folk. They will even eat a little venison...when I'm in the giving mood [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    It really depends on the people. In every subdivision I've lived in, ther have been a couple of neighbors that have no freakin clue about how their actions affect the quality of life of the rest of the neighborhood. Most people don't want to upset the herd and do something about it. I'm not that person. :)

10. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    Shoot yeah De-boned my deer this year in my garage hanging from my engine hoist. Just put a drop cloth under the area and a 5 gal bucket with a trash bag in it to drop in the unusable scraps.

11. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I lived in an apartment end unit years ago. Everyone else using their back door, had to walk past my back door. I hung a quartered deer there for a week, no one said anything.

These days, I process in my garage and the neighbor hood kids come by to check it out and I have even got them to help. No angry parents yet.

12. coach&hunt

coach&hunt 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2013
    Kentucky
    Live in a subdivision first deer I hung up game warden was there in about 2 hours. I am in my right to hang a deer and process it, I told him if he is called again I would be interested in filing harassment charges on the folks who called, he stuck by the story he just happened to see it, apparently gamewardens patrol subdivision regularly. I try to be considerate but my garage does not stay as cool as I like so if its cold I prefer the tree out back.

13. Brewtus

Brewtus 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2006
    Erlanger KY
    deer.jpg

Harbor Freight has these for $11.99.
    I bought this last year.
    I hook mine up to the basketball rim.
    I also live in a subdivision.
    Neighbor asked last week if I processed a deer.
    I said yes. End of conversation.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  14. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I used to live in a sub division. Not anymore. Pissed too many people off and most of the neighbors hated deer hunters. Sold the place and bought a place out of town. I own 50 acres now and nobody can't say anything to me about hanging deer up or racking leaves or mowing grass or having to many Christmas ornaments out. Or any of that silly stuff.

15. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yes...no problem...

I purchased a gambrel system from Walmart and screwed an I-bolt into a main joist in the garage (used a stud finder to located the joist)...I back my truck to the garage, throw down an old table cloth as a drop cloth and drag the deer in...then I shut the door... Since I live in Georgetown, I figure too many urbanites would not relish seeing me process a deer (though my neighbors have been more curious than anything...and I have shared out a few messes of deer backstrap).

Once the deer is hanging, I skin it, debone it into a cooler with ice, breakdown everything else as small as possible (a hacksaw goes a long way here) and put the remains in the garbage...usually underneath a weeks worth of my dog's waste...

Finish processing is done in the kitchen and the table...