DLC's Covert II

Discussion in 'Game Trail Cameras & Camcorders' started by killer, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    I just got one these from Skindog and I love it. It has been out for close to 2 weeks. I have gotten over 1500 pics and the battery life is still at 3/4 or 2/3. It's a very fast camera too. Here are a few bucks that made it through gun season. I still haven't got any pictures of the 10 and 8 I saw before gun season but I haven't heard about anybody killing one of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

I'm pretty sure Joey, the owner of DLC, is pretty close to getting these in the store at Uncle Lee's so ask about em the next time you're there.

3. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    are these and the scoutguards the same thing??????? i'm confused

4. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

scoutguard and covert I are the same, covert II different.

5. bahouse3

bahouse3 Spike

Oct 25, 2005
    Hancock Co.
    What is difference in covert I and II?

6. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

$50 -$100 depending on who you purchase it through.:D

Looks like they tried to beef up the IR. Went with the traditional shape on the II. No review by Chasinggame yet.

7. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    the IR on the covert II is definately brighter than my SG. Is the Covert2 still small?

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Its still small, just the traditional shape. Looks like they moved around the electronics. I don't see the remote set up that I like so much about the SG. Wonder if there is a different manufacturer making these for Covert.
    I might be interested, but I'm not touching anything the chasing game guys have not gone through completely.

9. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Do the coverts have a better way to lock them to a tree than the Scoutguards ??

10. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

yeah, still small. There are 2 additional IR's with a wider dispersion angle which leads to better fill on night time pics. The case is now completely sealed to do away with fears from the original design about whether ot not it's weather proof. Also there is a threaded insert molded in the bottom of the case so it can be mounted to a tripod if there is no tree available, also comes with 2gb of memory. Oh, also has a hood molded over the lens to prevent dew/rain from pooling at the bottom edge of the lens.

[​IMG]

11. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Pretty much the same, you gotta get a bear box to have a secure camera. I will tell you that there is a bracket in the works that will make them more secure, but will probably be an option that will add a little cost.

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

From a thread on Chasinggame about them:

13. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    Wow, this thread has headed in a little different direction than I thought. I just wanted to tell everyone that I like the camera, and I will probably get another one soon. As far as if its better than this one, or that one, or what so and so said about watcha'ma'call'it, and who is mad at who on another forum, I don't have any idea. But it is a good camera with good quality pictures, great battery life, virtually no blacked out night time pics, fast reacting, and not to terrible expensive. And I think I have a fine batch of young bucks to grow up for next year.

14. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    just thought I would throw in another post before this one gets locked or axed:D The ONLY complaint I have with my SG550 is the range of the night pics. If the Covert II gives me everything that my SG does plus it gets better night shots, I would say that is improvement. The threads on chasingame always seem a bit biased to me, not sure why they are so protective of SG if they truly don't get any sponsership money:confused:

15. mistertwister

mistertwister 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2008
    Williamstown, KY
    Being a new user of the SG 550, i would have to agree on the range. AFter having 2 our for 3 days now and checking one of the cards last night, the night pics are sort of like looking through a paper towl roll. This will lead me to reconsider the positioning of the cameras if night shots are that important. THe day shots go a long way, night ones not so long and the edges of the images are blacked out. Other than that, they seem to be working well.

I would like to try the covert II. Like the camera package a little better as it looks more like a trail camera and probably secures to the tree a little better. WIth the SG 550 it is almost a must to have a case for it. For now, i am going to build a couple out of PVC, that i have left over from building feeders. Wont make it theft proof, but will go a long way towards making it easier to secure to a tree.

chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.