Distance

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Grago, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I run&gun pretty much exclusively and it's cost me a few birds and got me a few that otherwise wasn't changing their path no matter what call you threw at em. I dont fart around when they're in range, but I'll usually try to give a couple puts to stop em. I don't use decoys when hunting alone bc I like to up the challenge a tad more, but def not against it at all especially with multiple ppl bc them suckers can see like no other as we all know. haven't had time to shoot the 410/tss shell yet to see how it does but I'll post it here if it's good/bad. Kinda got me hyped about trying something new this year.:cool:

woodsman92 and Grago like this.
  2. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I have heard other people say that, I can tell you,
    I have heard some others say that, I can tell you pain pills dont help.
    I have heard others say that, I just know pain pills dont do any good. Last year, I was in the blind and decided I would walk just a little in the woods, wasnt gonna go very far, but tripped over a root and fell , couldnt get up, I held my gun up, like most would, and bruised the heck out of my left arm I hit on, I had left my cell phone, in the chair in the blind. so I finally crawled to a sappling, big enough to finally pull myself up. Got back to the blind, called my friend to come get me. When I got home and took my shirt off, girlfriend seen my arm and asked what happened, I told her and she asked, why I do that, put myself thru that, she said to who and what am I trying to prove, she said do you not think that people that know you, know you can kill a turkey, she said how many you killed in your life, I said I have no idea, a bunch, my share of em anyway, and she said so what does 1 more prove, for you to go thru what you do to hunt, I didnt have a answer, I think about that a lot, its a lot to go thru having to depend on someone to get you out there, and do everything for you, except call, and pull the trigger, more so deer hunting than turkey, when I kill one, just have to wait till somebody gets there and watch them do the rest, I did a long thread on this last year, I still dont have a answer, but when, I see a buck walk out, I want to shoot or a gobbler coming in, I know why, but dont know how to explain it to anyone else.So when I say to ignorant to quit, thats what I mean.

Munson likes this.
  3. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I killed one 55 yards once and a few days later shot one at 5 yards. The close ones are much more fun. The drumming and gobbling up close sends shockwaves through your body. I hunt the woods a lot and love it much more than hunting open fields. Its just more exciting watching them in the woods to me.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Thought a 100 yd sniping .410 was the new rage (pun intended).

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    40 yards or less for me.

Grago and Timholt70 like this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Probably the understatement of the year. Shoot and hope one pellet finds it mark, good strategy.

Feedman and Timholt70 like this.
  7. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I figured it out a while back. I took all my shots (misses included) and figured out that 80% of the shots I'd taken were inside 17.5 yards. That stunned even me. I did not plan it that way. It just happened.

I don't really have a distance after which I put an asterisk against it in the log. A dead bird is a dead bird to me. However, I have twice misjudged distance spectacularly. My eyes are bad. I've been using a scope for 25 years. Once my face is down, all I'm seeing is what's in the scope. The last time I goofed was rather spectacular. Two gobs were coming in. I put my gun up and waited for the lead bird to show. I was ready for about a 15-20 yard shot. However, the lead bird ran out into the middle of the pasture, and when he showed up behind that last tree, he was 60 yards out. I couldn't tell. All I could see in the scope was a bird in the grass. I rolled him, and knocked him out, but while I was getting ready to go get him, he jumped back up and started running away. It ended up in hand-to-hand combat at the far end of the field.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    woodsman92, 1wildcatfan and Grago like this.
  8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I wish I could get them close where I hunt. Not killed as many as most of you but my closest has been 30 yd with crossbow. Longest was my first, a jake at 62. Funny thing is most deer I kill at 20-30 yds, even with a gun LOL. Stupid turkeys won’t come in.

Grago likes this.
  9. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I'm the same. I kill them where and when I can. I've killed several turkeys at 50 plus yards and don't care to tell it. It all depends on the particular situation and the individual hunt.

Grago and xbokilla like this.
  10. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Unless a bird comes out of cover at 20 yards I just cant bring my self to wait for them to get that close. They get as close as my right index finger will let them get once the safety clicks off. Im not trying to be a smart ass just honest about the way a spring gobbler gets me worked up as he is coming in.

11. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    My self I like them inside 40 it's dead bird,. I mis judged one that we had a chess match ended up 2 ridges over and had to hit ground fast cause he turned around and was close soon as he rounded a little patch of briers stuck his head up I shot, jumped up ran out to bout 40 and there was no bird it took a little looking found it at 63 yards that's furthest I've ever shot one and would never shoot that far knowing that,. I like them 30 to 40 yards,.

Timholt70, hoene and Grago like this.
  12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Inside 60 with my 12 ga inside 40 with the 20.

Grago likes this.
  13. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I do my best to keep it 40 and under. Once they hit the 40 yard mark I know it’s a dead bird and I take the first good shot opportunity. Have killed one at 52 yards. If one is at 50 and I hear putting then I will take that shot though.

dirtstalker, Grago and Timholt70 like this.
  14. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    I like them under 40 but with these TSS shells anything inside 50 is dead. There’s been a few times that I wished my .223 was legal when they get in the middle of a big field and strut around out there about 75 yards. :)

15. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Funny thing about shells these days, Gosh, I have no idea how Long I have shot shells from Nitro company, back when he was still in New York, I know over 20 years , they were 3 dollars a piece, People said I was crazy to pay that much for a shell, but when other guys said oh he was 40 yards, didnt know if I could kill him, I didnt have that problem, I just shot him and went down there and picked him up. I am pretty sure, I started with a 2 and 3/4 or 3 inch 870, dont remember which, but I have killed several back then with a 2 3/4 shell, there was a shell out called activ, it was red with no brass on it. Then Mossberg came out with the 1st 3 and 1/2 that I remember, or 1 st 1 I had anyway, then benelli, came out with the 3 1/2 automatic, had a few of them by this time, I was using the nitro ammo, I was duck and goose hunting with a lot of guys that had those, then Winchester came out with the x2 and we all went to them, thats what I shot with a 660 rhino choke, shot it till they came out with the x3, bought one of those and still shooting it today, with that 660, I dont remember the shot count on the nitro when they were lead, but they were good, then he came out with hevi shot, thats what I have shot for a long time,and still do 4x5x7 2 1/4 oz load, with my x3 and the 660 rhino choke, it puts 310 plus in a 10 inch circle @ 40 yards, Now he also makes shells in tss also, I have seen shells go up thru the years, and when I hunted tn we were allowed 4 gobblers, and 2 in Ky, so I was shooting 6 a year, now I just hunt here. But im down to 1 , so I got a friend to shooting them many years ago, and I was talking to him the other day, and he said he had went to the nitro tss, I think he said he was giving 12 dollars a piece for them, he said he had some 4x5x7 he would give me. Which as I said is what I have shot for years, but he said you should try these tss, I told him I didnt see any point in it, I put 1 nitro in the chamber and 2 long beards number 6 shot in the magazine, if I needed to shoot a cripple, but 1 has all I have needed , for a long time since im sitting, in a blind on a clean field, in the woods its hard to get a decent shot sometimes, not so much in a clean field if he comes to the decoys..But this guy is so tight he squeaks when he walks, so where im going with this if he will pay 12 dollars a shell, for them this tss must really be something, for a guy as tight as him to buy them, when he kills everyone he shoots at with the others, My gun shoots the long beards good, not as good as the nitros but good, so I guess when everybody thought I was crazy years ago, now will pay 12 dollars for a shell.