Distance

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Grago, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Just making conversation, here, I been laying flat for a week, RA is bad stuff.. I hear the conversation some, that some guys say they wont shoot a gobbler, unless he is 25 yards or less, Well im not that guy, I have killed a lot of gobblers in 45 years or so turkey hunting, If thats what someone wants to do, and feel like they have accomplished more, or thats the satisfaction they get out of it, thats great, I have killed them from very close to pretty far, to me he is just as dead at 35 yards as at 25, that 10 yards closer dosent mean anything to me. I might let him strut some and put on a show, but outside that, for the most part when he gets to where I know I can kill him, I do. For anyone that wants them 25 or less, I admire you, But I just wondered how you guys put a true accomplishment or a satisfaction, of what you have done, besides killing a gobbler..

2. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    40 or less for me.

3. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Dang I hate it for ya Grago. RA is rheumatoid arthritis right? I knew a guy that had it bad in his hands. Big knots all over and they stayed drawed up most the time. Last time I seen him he'd lost a finger but I'm not 100% it was from RA.

I like Turkey huntin about as good as deer hunting because of the cat&mouse game and I'm just as happy with a gobbling 2yr old as limb hanger.

Grago likes this.
  4. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 Spike

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    I have to let them get up close for me to kill them. I have a Charles Daly 12 gauge and for some reason it won’t hold a very tight pattern. I had a truglo extra full on it and switched to an undertaker last year and that helped a little bit.

5. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    I don't think I have ever shot a gobbler over 50 yards.thats 25 years of hunting turkeys.

James Scott White and Grago like this.
  6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I shoot them at the first available shot opportunity within range. Not every turkey comes in putting on a show, so I don’t see much use in prolonging the shot.

7. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    I don't want them any closer than 35-40 if I can help it.

In a blind with a bow,as close as I can get em.

Grago likes this.
  8. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Munson, it is, its destroyed me, I have had it a few years , I was on a shot that I took every 2 weeks, it helped a long time, but just quit working, so far they havent been able to give me anything else that is helping
    I have been, turkey huntin before and had someone drive me up to my blind on the side of a field, and have to use a Walker to get in the blind, then them hand me my gun thru tje window and stick a decoy out. I still manage to kill a few, but it pisses me off to no end, to hear a gobbler on the other side of the holler and not be able to go to him. I have called them a long ways since I have had to hunt this way. its better than sitting in the house, but not near as much fun running and gunning,Most of the time, I can walk from the truck to the blind, just have to get someone to drive me to it. I have always known patience kills turkey, but this jas brought on a whole new meaning, there is nothing else I can do but sit there. I have toms that I hadnt heard gobble in a long time I called to , of course I shut up and then after a long time, they gobble just before they come in the field. If I could have walked good I would have already moved.Same thing deer huntin I have a blind on a square stand 10 foot high, I have a friend that takes me to it and comes and gets me, It takes everything I got to get up in it but I do, My Ra is worse for the last week, because they cant put injections in the joints because I took that dang covid vaccine ,They say they have me on the strongest pain medicine they can give me. I honestly think I could eat a m&m be about the same. Anyway, not looking for any pity, its my fault im just to ignorant to quit, but it is what it is.

9. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    FF, if you dont mind spending the money, there are some really good chokes and shells out there, but a long beard xr choke and long beard ammo is good, if you dont want to break the bank

10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I made a few vid hunts. Nothing for a show tho. My goal was to get a shot on film. Not to milk the video. Not dissing anybody that videos hunts at all. But the way we hunt, u got a shot u shoot it. Never give up an op., if I was shooting turkey for a living that had to be on cam would be disheartening for me. I love watching amateur hunts vids. Real as it gets. Unlike the edited bs u see on tv. Both vids I’ve filmed were of my dad. I want a vid of my son harvesting a turkey. Just for the pleasure of his excitement and reaction. When u know u are being recorded adds a lil more pressure . I like to the vids of the misses more lol. Distance is up to the hunter. I’ve killed 3 turkey over 60 yards. But 95% I’ve killed were within 30 and that’s the way I like it. Longest was 83 yards ranged. Should I have shot, prolly not but I did. Got lucky I guess.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Grago likes this.
  11. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    I see what you are saying, I dont watch any videos anymore, except for Justins Ky Harwood Hunters, They are what I call the real deal, shows it the way it is, if he gets them or dont, not trying to sell something every 2 minutes, just puts up a short link, to the call he uses, knows when to call, when not to, and it makes you feel, like you could be there doin, to me that is a good video,

mudhole crossing likes this.
  12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    For me, I won't shoot unless he comes inside 40 yards. Most of my turkeys have been killed inside 30, but I take the first shot I get. For me, set up is key. I run and gun, so when I work a bird I try to get a "hump" between me and him. When he sticks his noggin' over that hump to see the hen, he's inside 40 yards. He doesn't have to take another step !

Swampfox and Grago like this.
  13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    We run an gun. It all is up to the bird u working what u do. I’ve sat and not killed it. Moved in killed it. No bird is the same. Persistence and following what Youve learned tags a bird in the long run. There’s birds out there that aren’t gonna come in no matter what u do. That’s where ur experience comes into play. Best advice I can give a new hunter is hunt it out. Don’t go home, find another bird that is willing to commit if u can. Learn from ur mistakes and I’ve made plenty. Experience and patience is turkey hunting

14. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Well, I'll tell ya what the guy I know does for relief bc he ain't in to taking prescription meds. He got a medical marijuana vape. I guess its different flavors like that doesn't taste like the real stuff and it's only the oil so your not inhaling paper etc only thc. Just thought I'd throw that out there bc that sucks to be stuck in bed bc of the pain. I dont understand when you said "its your fault your just to ignorant to quit"? Hope ya get some relief asap bud

Swampfox and Grago like this.
  15. silentarcher

silentarcher 6 pointer

Feb 27, 2013
    west ky
    40 yards and under for me. I've let many birds walk because the terrain made them look farther than they actually were. Only realizing how close they were after stepping it off. Didn't lose any sleep over them though. Just made me more fired up and made me enjoy the season even more as well. I've even upset a few people because I wouldn't take a 50-60 yard shot at a bird when hunting together even though I was sure my gun would do it. This was when I was younger. I have a rangefinder with me on most hunts now and if I have time I range a few trees or spots at 40 so I know for sure. If he's not in my red zone then he walks.

bowhunter269, Timholt70 and Grago like this.