Discontinued Powders????

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Travis Thacker, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    I know Hodgdon bought a bunch of brands in 2018 but word is the Alliant line of ( DOT ) replicated powders Red, Blue, and Green will be discontinued. Also heard Hodgdon Universal might get the boot as well. It would be hard to believe such popular powders in Clays line and color line would get booted.

2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Well that will suck! Talk about kicking people when there down.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    They have many very similar powders and they have others that work just as well If they do this.

Just too many types with little difference. Things are too complicated but it's hard to find any of them now.

JGD likes this.
  4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have shot a many pounds of green dot and blue dot, got a full keg of red dot.

5. JGD

JGD 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    I would hate to see Universal go. My go to in a 1 oz 16 gauge load.

John

6. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Never could figure out why all the "New" powders. What was wrong with the older line of rifle/shotgun/pistol powders?? I've used: IMR-4350, H-4350, H-110, IMR-4198, IMR-4064, WW-748, as well as: Unique, & SR-4759 powders for years & years.

7. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    Same thing here Davers, when Winchester discontinued W-571 and the old AA20F1 wads I was very upset. It killed any hope of good 1 oz 20 gauge reloads in the AACF or STS hulls. I know they try to claim that there is not a market in some instances but that's not exactly true. It's usually a machine breaking down that costs to much to justify replacing which was the case for the AACF hulls and of course expensive HDPE plastic costs more then LDPE plastic.
    The newer powders usually replicate older ones but not exact burn rates so one has to send in reloads to get PSI tested and 9 out of 10 times it only takes 1-3 grains powder change to replicate an old load using a new powder but still it's expensive and a PITA.
    Again this is just something I heard so no clue if it's true or not. All I know for sure is that IMR Blue which was meant to replicate Blue Dot is going to get discontinued but I have no cue if actual Blue Dot will get kicked.

davers likes this.
  8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I was disappointed when Winchester discontinued there 680 powder, I used to reload for my .22 Hornet & .25-20 Win. Winchester's 680 powder always gave me great results, now I use 'Lit-Gun powder which is fine.

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

I don't think Alliant was bought by Hodgdon? I do believe Hodgdon sells IMR and IMR has discontinued the Blue, green and red.

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I’d hate that I use a lot of red, blue and green dot

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea and it was practically brand new… I don’t understand that

FOWLER2671 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  12. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    I can't figure it out. The Color Line of powders was meant to replicate the older Blue Dot and Green Dot in burn rate so as to be a substitute. Hodgdon basically distributes for all 3 major powder companies as far as I can understand it.
    Happens every single time. Seems like I might load for 5-6 years using the same powders and then finally decide to gamble on a new powder and the company discontinues it. Back in my youth I had just started to reload and maybe got 5 years into loading shot shells and rifle ammo. Winchester dropped the AACF / compression formed hulls and along with them they dropped the 571 powder and AA20F1 wads. That AA20F1 wad was the only good wad for 1 oz or 1 1/8th oz loads in 2 3/4" inch or 3" inch hulls. The RP-20 and SP-20 wads worked but not as good as the old taper wall specific AA-wads. The factory AA20 was never designed for more then 7/8 oz shot.

KYBOY likes this.
  13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We’ll look they also dropped two of the most used wads ever. The waa12 and waa12f114. I hate that because one of my slug loads uses the waa12 wad and none of the claybuster clones work because they have an interior rib. Slug and hard card won’t fit without bulging. I’m going through different BPI wads right now looking for a good fit

14. Travis Thacker

Travis Thacker 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2018
    Corbin KY
    I did not know they dropped the AA12 and AA12F114 yellow wad. Did Winchester drop the old short RED AA12 or are you talking about the normal AA12 white 1 1/8th oz wad??? The Claybuster line usually works but for Lee drive key slugs that little rib inside the petals and slight size differences does cause problems. I've seen guys trim and shave and do all kinda stuff to make slugs work in the CB Wads.
    For whatever reason CB-wad company decided that people wanted the lite weight 3/4 oz 20 gauge and 7/8 oz wads for 12 gauge or 16 gauge more then they did anything else. They came out with the stupid 3/4 oz 20 gauge wad which is simply a normal AA20 type wad with some plastic raised in the shot cup. I mean come on anyone can add fiber wad into the shot cup and get the same effect. We can't always take plastic away but we can always add a fiber wad or felt under shot cushion to push the load up a tad bit. Claybuster did this with the 16 and 20 gauge wads and acted like it was a great new product.