Disappointing elk hunt

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by WXman, Sep 28, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That's fine, you don't have to agree with everything. But it isn't your decision to make.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m kinda torn. There are moral and legal aspects to this argument. Our laws are not like Alaska right? Meaning, if you wound the animals without recovery you are legally required to stop hunting. Here in the bluegrass, it sounds like it is very different and I don’t know that I can blame a guide or hunter for continuing….since they are legally permitted to do so. Four wounded/unrecovered bulls is ridiculous and the hunter shouldn’t be hunting period.

KYBOY likes this.
  3. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I have heard many stories about many wounded animals over the years. When LMO says the hunt is over bc you drew blood, pulling cash out of your pockets should not change anything . It's over. That's greed spelled out

bowhunter269 and littlebear like this.
  4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Your very correct. Two things in my experience stopped access. First is 4 wheelers. No one ever minded foot traffic, squirrel hunters etc.
    Everyone did definitely mind folks tearing things all to heck with 4 wheelers and all the bad that came with.
    I can say with 100% certainly that we lost more than a dozen places to hunt because of 4 wheeler riders. They got so bad everyone lost. My family’s farms had to be posted because of them. We’ll not “them” but the fools that came with them, too lazy to do anything without them. So lazy it’s easier to trespass on a 4 wheeler than walk and hunt where they have permission.
    The other reason, honestly is Deer. Back then we had no deer in eastern Kentucky. When deer arrived everything changed. All of a sudden people didn’t want you disturbed their deer with your squirrel hunting. I swear I heard that no less than half a dozen times.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m not sure that’s greed. If you pay me to remodel your kitchen and you damage a cabinet…..why wouldn’t I charge you more money to replace the cabinet?

bgkyarcher likes this.
  6. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    I completely agree with the last 2 statements. I was shocked when he told me. He said that the first bull he shot was a big one, and he felt like it was a good hit. They tracked it a good distance with good blood, then found a pool of blood the size of a truck bed. He said they didn't want to go any further. He didn't understand, asked why, they said it isn't dead or something like , and chose not to pursue it. But then every night at dinner he would pull out 500, 600, 700 dollars and they took him again the next day. I think he spent over 12,000 total and never got one. In his defense (and I use that term lightly because the thought of wounding 4 bulls nauseates me) I had the feeling he was pressured into taking shots he was uncomfortable with, but that's on him.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The hunt you paid for is over. If you want to pay, you get to hunt again. Call it what you will. When you wound and lose a deer, do you stop hunting for the year?

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    First of all, that didn't happen like you said it did, I can guarantee you that. He left some key details out... like a leg wound, or something. There is no way in hell they would quit a blood trail with good blood. And if it was two years ago, he paid way more than $700 to continue hunting. Do the math.... $12,000.... That's way more than $700. As for shot selection, a hunter needs to know his limitations.... I also doubt he was urged into taking a 70 yard shot, after already losing 4 bulls......

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Again, it is not your decision...... They are running a business. If you had a business, you'd run it to make money as well. In fact, you do just that. Best case scenario, hunter kills with one shot. Sometimes, that doesn't happen. It is up to the hunter if he/she wishes to pay to try again.

10. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Endless supply of kitchen cabinets so to speak. Elk are definitely limited. Big difference

Treating them as an endless supply got them into the current mess of few elk

littlebear likes this.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Maybe I'm missing something here. After you draw blood it's over?....unless you want to pay more?
    That doesn't sound like they are worried about multiple wounded animals. More of "you want more of my time then you'll pay for it".

Ataulbe1 and littlebear like this.
  13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I fail to see the relevance of supply? They are legally allowed to continue hunting. The state issues the number of tags they deem appropriate. If the elk were dead, I’m betting they would have found it.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Pretty much, as there is always somebody next in line......

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

So ethics is not a factor.

16. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You never wound a deer?