Disappointing elk hunt

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by WXman, Sep 28, 2021.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

You draw blood with LMO and your hunt is over. Yes there are plenty of animals not found but if you connected and don’t find it, your hunt is over. So. no one person is wounding multiple animals. I have to give them credit for this policy. Can’t say anything about the land they have access to. I know they’ve cornered the market for sure.

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yep, it took them several lost animals to finally incorporate that rule.....

Tankt, carnivore and xbokilla like this.
  3. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I mean it sucks but it’s a ‘have to case’

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Most ky archery hunters hunt deer from a stand over a plot or corn pile. Spot and stalk elk hunting on the ground is a whole different animal that most ky hunters simply aren’t prepared for. My sight came loose from jumping in an out of the truck. I didn’t notice it until after a miss, cost me a cow elk. I didnt kill that year.

5. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I hunt several strips but I have permission to be on them. Either family owned property that had reverted back from the coal company or written permission from the company itself. Use to have access to probably half the strips in a three county area by work contacts. Even had keys to almost every gate lock. Sadly lost most of those. Dont get me wrong when I was young and dumb Im sure I rode on a few strips that were not gated or posted but shoulfnt have been there anyway.. I never threw out trash though, not even a candy bar wrapper.
    Trash and poachers are what lost us access to most of them guys. People cant grasp the idea of "packing out what you pack in" or a "fence means no entry"....

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yep.... I've seen a lot of locked gates with improvised roads around them..........

KYBOY likes this.
  7. Mountain Man4life

Mountain Man4life 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2020
    Hills
    I’d say a bunch of eky boys will be $&it out of luck in the next couple years. You guys better have your own place to hunt or a good neighbor that will allow you to hunt. I have a feeling the power of a dollar will prevail and the strips will be shut down as the mining is over and the land will not be leased anymore

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    yep and some of them carry bolt cutters and side cutters to get through. Cut fences etc..

Feedman and Meatstick like this.
  9. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    It's just crazy to me that y'all feel you're losing access, all of a sudden. From what I've heard here, yall should've never been on that ground in the first place. "You guys better have your own place to hunt." Ain't that a helluva note lol

10. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I’ve got no dog in this fight but I feel like the “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” could not be more fitting.

There are a lot of places in this country that the local communities have had “access” to without verbal or written permission…paper companies, timber companies, resource companies, etc.

Doesn’t make it okay, but it sure as hell stings for the folks who use it.

11. Mountain Man4life

Mountain Man4life 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2020
    Hills
    i know rt. These people run these old jobs like it’s their own. Lol

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Back when I was young people welcomed you to frog gig, hunt and fish . Now land owners have changed and hardly anyone knows the new kids that have grown up.
    I would say that on coal mines , the reason there is so many trespassing is because those hills have been opened up with roads to mine the coal .
    Opened up where they could only be traveled by foot and now have roads or paths to ride.

Mountain Man4life and KYBOY like this.
  13. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    This isn't meant to pick a fight, but you are 100% incorrect. An acquaintance of mine hunted with them 2 years ago and shot 4 different bulls, not recovering any of them. All he had to do was pull hundred dollar bills out of his pocket to get them to keep hunting. He said the first bull he shot left a huge pool of blood at the last spot they found blood, but the guides didn't want to pursue it any longer. He also told me that later in the season his guide was yelling/cursing at him to take a 70 yard crossbow shot because that particular bull would have been the second best bull they had taken that season. All my buddy could see was the bull's neck, but the guide said shoot anyway - thankfully he did not, or it would have been 5 wounded bulls. Clearly he needs to practice with his bow more, but that is bullshit on the part of the guides. It seems most will say what sounds good, but when it comes to $$, their minds change easily. Maybe most people would do the same, idk. But this is a true, accurate story.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    He wounded 4 bulls? Dang. Yes, if the hunter is willing to pay again, they can continue their hunt. That is explained in advance of their first hunt. Did he ever kill one? He spent in excess of $10k...... I call BS on the guides not wanting to pursue a bull after finding a big pool of blood. I've been with them on several tracking jobs, and they don't give up. Called in dogs on multiple occasions. Looked for 2-3 days....

15. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I disagree with this practice. He drew blood, should have been over regardless if he was shitting gold coins.