Did Ky pay THP to come into KY and promote public land turkey hunting in KY?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Bee, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Damcoons.
    Mostly.

Feedman, OLE RASPY and KYH5N1 like this.
  2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    That’s not very good odds. And from what I’ve seen and experienced I say only 1 of 10 hens u see is all the breeds. If it was higher there would be turkeys in every tree.

3. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

One podcast with Chamberlain he said most people manage their property better for predators than they do for turkeys. Also said that 100 actively nesting hens would produce 11 adult gobblers? Said that in his studies 100% of nest failures were due to predation?

Meatstick likes this.
  4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Predation can be a broad statement, though. Hen turkeys are terrible mothers to their nests. The worst of any bird I can think of. Jump one out of a fence row or hay field ONE time, and that neglectful bitch WILL NOT come back, EVER. Pisses me off lol

5. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Just hope someone can tell us yes or not on whether KY paid them to come to KY, and how much

6. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I jumped one off next few years ago twice while mushrooming. She never came back. After about 2 weeks of her not returning we put the eggs under a chicken and she hatched them.

Meatstick likes this.
  7. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I've seen hens return on several occasions. I've flushed hens off the nest in late June when I mow hay and had them return to the nest. It's usually fruitless because when you leave one spot unmowed, you may as well put up a sign inviting predators to check it out.

JR in KY and Meatstick like this.
  8. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Ask them I reckon. I doubt it, though.

9. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I'm sure it would be public records if someone knew who and how to ask? Someone get Strader on the job. Lol

10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I did this exact same thing a few years ago. Flushed up the Hen on nest, left a quarter acre patch of unknown hay. Next morning the whole bottom was full of Turkey Feathers and egg shells. I assume COYOTE.
    And they are Terrible mothers also. If you ever raised Tame turkeys, they are the same way.

Feedman likes this.
  11. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I want to clarify something I mentioned earlier..I have no hard facts as to what THP was paid in any state . Only know there is 11 pages of discussion on the GA issue with THP on the Georgia Outdoor Forum turkey sub forum that are all about the payments in the face of the season reductions and limit reductions.