Did Ky pay THP to come into KY and promote public land turkey hunting in KY?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Bee, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Been reading where U tube turkey tycoons THP was paid by GA FW /tourism to come to Ga and film and promote public land turkey hunting. Apparently TN also paid them and other states as well. So has Ky paid them to create social media interest in coming to KY to spring turkey hunt/ or deer hunt on public land? Anybody know how much? thanks

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Id like to know if it was the dept of tourism or directly from KDFWR funds. I may have bought my last hunting license. I purchase a sportsman’s even if i only hunt my own property in a given year. If what you are asking about turns out to be true im done doing that.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. CalebConn16

CalebConn16 6 pointer

May 27, 2016
    If that turns out to be true it’s going to piss a lot of people off but honestly if any of us was those boys who are poor as whiporwhills we’d have took it in a heartbeat. So I don’t fault them. And if I understand correctly some Pittman-Robertson money can be used for advertisements. People religiously follow those guys around. And the amount of people who try to replicate them probably more than double what they paid them in license fees and associated costs. So if it makes the state money for wildlife and some good guys get paid for it go ahead. A lot of that money goes to waste anyway because they sit in their hands and don’t use it for anything.

OLE RASPY likes this.
  4. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Folks in Ga are pretty upset that their state is promoting people to come to Ga to turkey hunt at the same time that the season is facing likely reductions in turkey season bird limits and season dates due to a perceived very low Turkey population. Especially on public hunting areas in GA. It’s the public land people who are upset. Outraged Would be a better term probably. If I was relying solely on public land to turkey hunt I might feel the same way. I think playing to a social media audience is a bad idea anyway.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  5. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 10 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    100%.

We all get the scheme-promote state resources, generate income for agencies, buy/build more habitat for more wildlife.

I’m not convinced it works as intended though.

6. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Speaking on public land turkey hunting, I recently heard the rumor that atleast one of the southern states has made WMAs off limits to nonresident hunters for the first 2-2 1/2 weeks of their season? If this is the case, KY should at a minimum make our WMAS off limits to that state's residents for an equal time period. Sorry to hijack but if anyone knows fo' sho', please elaborate.

7. CalebConn16

CalebConn16 6 pointer

May 27, 2016
    I understand but I’m pretty sure when they were there it was also to raise awareness about the declining population. Was that not where they done a 1 hour episode with Michael chamberlain about his studies in Georgia? That probably paid a huge part in that money. They really didn’t recommend coming to hunt they showed what a hard time they had.

bearleft likes this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I will bet that there are some guys on here and i know some guys that are not on this forum. Go to public land and kill as many turkeys as the THP guys. There is lots of good turkey hunters out there these days. They put in the time and know how to kill turkeys.

Dark Cloud, OLE RASPY and CalebConn16 like this.
  9. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Alabama

10. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Is that where they nailed up the gobble counters in the woods?

11. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I heard Mississippi? A good friend from AL hunts with me every spring. Guess I'll be asking him about this subject?

12. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Chamberlain has done turkey research everywhere in the country. He knows those birds no doubt. I've listened to numerous podcast he's been on. The most astounding thing I've ever heard him say was that only 7% of all nest would produce at least 1 poult that would survive to adulthood! Let that sink in!

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I heard years ago that only 25 poults out of 1000 eggs laid would make it to adulthood

14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I agree

15. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I read a great hatch is if 1.5 poults survive a clutch.