did i understand obama right

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by treerat, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Haves

Haves 8 pointer

Feb 17, 2007
    Union ky
    Anything you guys write about Obama...everybody just tags along like Lemmings.

Socail Security is a disaster. It takes up 3.2 of GDP. In 2011 it will pay out more than it takes in.
    Medicare will be insolvent by 2019.

Finally someone is trying to put together a plan to try and fix the programs and you guys find fault. He can leave them alone and they can end on there own soon enough.:cool:

2. CUZZIN

CUZZIN Banned

Jul 25, 2007
    Pump Jack Holler
    Very well said. Something has to be done to change, it cant go on the way it is. But alot dont like a change they are happy with the same ol game.:eek:

3. Clint Daniels

Clint Daniels 8 pointer

Mar 10, 2003
    ky
    What was wrong with Bush's plan of making people responsible of their own SS by privatizing. OH YEA YOUR BOY DID NOT THINK OF IT! You guys are comical. You live solely by your political affiliation.

4. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    Some thinks are govt should walk along beside us and hold our hands. IF people only realized if they invested the money themselves in mutual funds and such over the course of their careers how much more money they'd have.

5. Haves

Haves 8 pointer

Feb 17, 2007
    Union ky

I say let me have my money and I'll invest it. The Bush plan died and the problem still exists. Individual investments are down 40%, so it may not have been the best answer for the majority of the population.

"You live solely by your political affiliation."
    What affiliation? I could say the same about youself. I want a problem addressed and the incoming President says he is going to work on it. It sounds like you want another four years of failure and nothing to happen so you can get who you want in office.

6. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    Haves, you never make any sense. You say you like the idea of being able to invest the money yourself, but fail to realize the only reason it didn't get anywhere is because "your party" can't stand the thoughts of privatizing anything. They want more govt, more this more that..

President Bush was wanting to do what you wanted, your party blocks him, and you blame him for failure! You know, you'd fit right in up there in Washington.

7. Haves

Haves 8 pointer

Feb 17, 2007
    Union ky

Scott...

I look forward to the 7 pages of useless banter now that you are vested in the thread.
    I am registered independent. I voted against McCain and Palin for reasons I've stated in the past. I did not go down the board voting Repub or Democ, I tried to pick the best person for the job. That is why I live in a Democracy. I didn't say a Bush failure caused anything. I did say we still have the problem. It should have been fixed 25 years ago by the government not using our SS funds as a source for cash in the budget.

I would take my money that I pay into SS because it is a failed program that will be insolvent shortly. I will never get my money out. I would be better off putting the money in a drawer in my desk. I don't know if privatization is the best way to go. Look at the banking system today. Privatizing historical government held jobs is not always the best answer(blackwater??).

I am in favor of action....and you.

8. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I don't know what the SS classes told you but there is no way the federal govt can "stock pile" the SS funds, at last not since 1965.

Thanks to President Lyndon B. Johnson's "Great Society" program. Social Security was changed to withdraw funds from the independent "Trust Fund" and put it into the General Fund for additional congressional revenue.

SS USED to have it's own "Trust Fund" and it was hands off by all policitians. The Social Security Act of 1965 put ALL the SS funds into the General Federal Budget. This allowed the federal govt to use the funds instead of just letting them set in the "Trust Fund". In truth there is no SS fund, all the money goes into the Federal General Budget.

It's like you and me having a "Savings Account" and moving all that money into our "Checking Account" to use now and not save it.

9. Ky'sFinest

Ky'sFinest 10 pointer

we live in a republic

10. Kybowhunter2

Kybowhunter2 6 pointer

Jan 7, 2009
    Piner Ky/NKY
    What else is new. Face it guys we as working americans are up the creek no matter who we put in the office of president or who we elect in congress. Our system of government has become a retirement for the politicans. They don't care never have never will just give me your vote so I can share in the perks and seperate retirement and seperate insurance for politicans and retire rich and happy while you foot the bill.

Nothing is going to change until we go out and find poor working hard to make everyday honest american stiffs and put them in office and congress. It does not matter what party it is all who are elected in are a docter/lawyer or has money from the get go. In the end there only there for one thing themselves.

I know one thing I'm tired of supporting the deadbeats out there who don't work or enter the country illeagaly and take our jobs and still get goverment help. I'm tired of paying for the women with 4 kids unmarried and getting back ten grand on taxes and barely even held a job during the year.
    I'm tired of paying for drug dealers I see every single day while at work dealing and living off my dime in section 8 housing. I'm tired of wondering where the money for my bills are going to come from while I'm busting my butt making it and people just as able as me are making more for sitting and doing nothing.
    I'm tired of going to the grocery and seeing the three carts of grocerys and steaks being paid for with food stamps and then out comes a wad of cash to pay for the beer and ciggaretes and lotto tickets. I could go on but enough is enough I say this country needs to trim the fat for once.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    If Obama does what he says then your checks will be smaller and your medicare share will be higher.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  12. whitetailpredator

whitetailpredator 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    All I read about The Social Security Act of 1965 is that it helped create Medicare and Medicaid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Act#Creation:_The_Social_Security_Act

Second paragraph second line.

"Tax deposits are formally entrusted to[3] Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund, or Federal Disability Insurance Trust Fund, Federal Hospital Insurance Trust Fund or the Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Fund."

I'd hate to think that somebody would run their own business on retirement planning while giving out false information.

Granted..there is something that needs to be done with SS, but there is no real good clear cut answer.

13. ben hunting

ben hunting 8 pointer

amen brother!
    so when are you going to run for office?

14. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Using the link you posted go down and see what it says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Act#Creation:_The_Social_Security_Act

" Amendments of the 1960s
    In 1961, retirement at age 62 was extended to men, and the tax rate was increased to 6.0%.

In 1962, the changing role of the female worker was acknowledged when benefits of covered women could be collected by dependent husbands, widowers, and children. These individuals, however, had to be able to prove their dependency.[47]

Medicare was added in 1965 by the Social Security Act of 1965, part of President Lyndon B. Johnson's "Great Society" program. Social Security was changed to withdraw funds from the independent "Trust Fund" and put it into the General Fund for additional congressional revenue."

This is something I've known all my adult life. It came up as a hot topic durning Nixon's first year in office and I can remember it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  15. whitetailpredator

whitetailpredator 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    If you would've kept reading you would see this reference under; "Amendments of the 1980's"

"For example, COLAs were attached to increases in the CPI. This meant that they changed with prices, instead of wages. Before the 1970s, wage measurements exceeded changes in price. In the 1970s, however, this reversed and real wages decreased. This meant that FICA revenues could not keep up with the increasing benefits that were being given out. Continued high unemployment levels also lowered the amount of Social Security tax that could be collected. These two developments were decreasing the Social Security Trust Fund reserves.[56]"

I'm not saying your WRONG, but I know what I read in books published in 2008. Why refer to them as "trust fund reserves" if they were placed into a "general fund" account?

I dont know if this is the case or not, but maybe they just changed some wording so that the money paid out in SS could be counted toward GDP so our numbers for government expenditures would be inflated for the rest of the world?