Did I mess up?

Discussion in 'Game Trail Cameras & Camcorders' started by DeerSkinner3742, Jul 27, 2010.

1. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    I put out some corn and a salt block a few weeks ago to get some pic's on the trail cam, but after thinking about it I put the corn in a ceader thicket were the ground was covered in some moss like vegetation. Do you think the deer will still come to the corn?

2. If there are any deer around there they will they are like corn seeking missiles...

3. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I agree with Buster. I generally try to put the corn/camera where the deer naturally travel. You will get much more pictures.

4. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    You need to consider the current conditions. During the dog days of summer, the deer are going to bed in cool shady spots that are close to their water and food sources. Their home ranges can be as small as 100 acres at this time of year. It's the dog days of summer, and there's not much summer time food sources in cedar thickets for deer to eat. If you're only getting a couple of deer (or none), it tells me that your cedar thicket just isn't close to a summer food source.

For summer pictures, you might want to try relocating near a bean field or food plot (alfalfa/clover) or a pond (if your hunting property doesn't have a lot of water on it). If you don't have any of those, I'd start where you're seeing deer congregate in the evenings.

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily write off your cedar thicket later in the fall or winter. It might very well be a honey hole later in the year if its close to some oak groves or if the deer bed there in the winter to get shelter from the wind. During the rut, does might very well hole up there to get away from harassment by bucks. We've got some cedar thickets that don't see much action in the early season, but they are amongst the best spots on our farm during the rut.

Give it a shot, but if it comes back dry, you'll at least have the knowledge that this is a location you can discount during the early season. Move your camera somewhere else and come back to it later in the fall once the deer's feeding patterns have changed and then again in the winter (i.e. sometime in December).

5. DeerSkinner3742

DeerSkinner3742 Spike

Dec 28, 2009
    burlington ky
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to check on it on saturday if I have any luck I will post some pics.