did anyone kill a grouse over a point in Ky this year? truth please

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Bee, Feb 24, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    They compete for food, and turkeys eat baby quail. I’ve seen it happen twice. Know others that have seen it also. Don’t know about eggs.

KYLefty likes this.
  2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    The answer is no, we hunted some not as much as we did a few years ago but it is just becoming hard to get motivated. I think total between all the hunters I know we saw about 12 birds this year.

a quick search of my post history will show that I was a denier of the decline as for a long time the areas I hunt seemed insulated and bird numbers were still good.

like a light switch they were gone, and I mean gone like they never existed.

it’s truly sad, and we’ve got unlimited acreage of primo habitat that’s just empty. It’s not turkeys, it’s not habitat, it’s not hunting pressure, it’s not food, it’s not anything that is known in my opinion. They literally just vanished.

I long for those days of 8-10 flushes and good times getting screwed over by Wiley birds. However, those days are gone, and probably forever

Bee, bondhu, carnivore and 1 other person like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Same with quail here..... Just not enough to hunt. We switched to beagles 10-12 years ago....

4. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Mark, I wish everyone appreciated what you are trying to do as much as I do.

KYLefty and carnivore like this.
  5. Fit2KillProstaffer

Fit2KillProstaffer 6 pointer

Nov 1, 2011
    Central KY
    I cut my teeth grouse hunting around the Bath, Rowan, Menifee area. Some of my fondest memories were tagging along with my dad and following our English setters. I can remember, while not common, of getting 20+ flushes in a day. I haven’t grouse hunted for years but things have obviously changed. I get the general aversion to F&W; however, I would I encourage you all to have an open mind and participate in research where you can. Most of us can remember a time when there wasn’t a deer or Turkey to be had.now we have huntable populations statewide. So please consider getting involved. Here is a link on F&W site. https://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Grouse.aspx

6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    One thing I've noticed, is that clear cuts don't produce the regrowth they once did. Used to be 5 yrs after a clear cut, you could hardly get thru it, and that is the cover that produces grouse. I see clearcuts in Carter/Elliott/Boyd and Lawrence counties that nothing has regrown in them. It's the style of logging that causes that. They just cut next to me in about a 10 acre acre, it looks like a war zone, and I don't believe there will be much regrowth in there either. And that is sad. Do others see the same in the clearcuts near y'all?

7. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Only ever seen one and that was in WV back in 2019. Middle of nowhere and heres a Grouse strutting like a gobbler lol

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    What is growing rather than what would traditionally be thick regrowth. I was curious if honeysuckle may be crowding out better habitat.

9. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    The regrowth in areas I see in area of TN -Ky border in eastern part of the states seem to come back in the typical gum/poplar thickets. The honeysuckle is there too. But Ive seen a lotto grouse come out of honeysuckle thickets back when we had some birds.

riverboss, bondhu and carnivore like this.
  10. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    That's just it I don't see anything growing. One would expect a forest floor covered but I just see barren ground and tops of trees everywhere. I scouted through some areas F&W hack n squirted the evasives and undesireables last year in Yatesville and the growth in those areas is remarkable.

11. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    This is a sad story. Large part of what I did in the winter months just to get out of the house. Great exercise and awesome scenery, especially after a snow. Loved it. I have a 7 year old setter who’s only gone twice in his life. Sad indeed. Part of my “youth” till I was about 50. I’m 60 now with two hip replacements, and a pacemaker. Probably couldn’t do it even if the woods were overrun with birds………… but I’d sure as hell give it a try!

bondhu and Bee like this.