Did anyone hunt Ballard WMA this weekend? New morning draw system now in place?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by artcarney_agr, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    I will be there as well the 15th.

2. hccumminssmoke

hccumminssmoke 6 pointer

Jul 24, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I disagree...like mike_b said for someone to put in for 3 years and drive 1/2 way across the state to have somebody thats stand by get to pick a blind ahead of you is a kick in the nuts. I wouldnt have been thrilled to have that happen last month. Its different when its a blind draw and any standby gets the leftovers.

3. Captain Mossberg

Captain Mossberg 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Henderson, KY
    I put in for three years before I got drawn for this year. If local standbys get to pick ahead of me, I am going to be ticked. What is the point of applying if everyone gets the same chance of picking your spot first? I am glad they are trying to improve it there though. I have hunted there many times as a standby and have had some decent hunts. It seems like they were always from the same few blinds though. I would like to think that finally getting to be a card holder would get me one of the better blinds.

4. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Do most people get drawn to hunt Ballard when they apply? If you do not get drawn, do you get points and do you have to re-apply and pay the $3 entry fee again?

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I would say most do not get drawn. I think I have been now two years without getting drawn. Yes, you get preference points and yes you have to keep applying and paying the $3.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Also, Ballard is open today but the report for last week hasn't been posted to the KDFWR website as of 7:20 central today.

7. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    I'm drawn for this year, I had not been the past 2. I think is almost impossible to get drawn without 2 preference points. You do have to pay to apply each year. Word to the wise, don't forget to apply if you have points. You will loose them.

I think most people agree (with the exception of ag art) that drawn hunters should get some preference over stand bys.

8. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    I do agree that the new system will make it important to do your homework before going. I'll be glad to share information to regular posters here through PM. Like most spots, I'm not sure it needs to be posted for the world to see.

9. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I agree. It's sad that those who have applied for multiple years won't get preference over standbys that could come every day if they wished. I was drawn this year for the dates I requested but it was back in December. I've applied the previous 2 years and never got drawn.

10. teamoutlaw

teamoutlaw 8 pointer

Sep 20, 2009
    took me 3 yrs to get drawn. they killed like 12 ducks the day before so I didnt go.

11. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
  12. kwildlife

kwildlife 6 pointer

Sep 12, 2008
    In the Bluegrass
    I'm confused! You don't have to put in for the draw in sept anymore? poor line folks go before the drawn ones now?

13. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm happy to see that the draw has changed and hopefully for the better.

I think the lottery winners should pick blinds before the standby since they put in for the draw and probably have more money tied up in preference points.

I think guys should video the draw for the rest of us but also to keep things on the up and up. Everyone has a cell phone so this should be simple.

My experience with Ballard corruption happened at Boatwright so I would suggest that the guys going to the draw down there also video the morning draw and ask to see the names on each sign in sheet when it gets pulled out of the bucket.