Diaphragm calls

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by riverboss, Mar 18, 2021.

1. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Anyone make your own? Been thinking of buying a kit and making mine, prices are starting to get high and I think it would be neat, maybe even make some for predator hunting.

James Scott White and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I made em for years, according to what you want to spend ,several jigs out there .I made one similar to the pic ,worked good ,I also made one that I used scotch tape ,to stretch the latex with,I used it more than the other one.I bought supplies from Pioneer call supplies, you can make a call pretty cheap, and you’ll probably throw a bunch away ,but they’re fun to make ,and experiment with .

Attached Files:

riverboss likes this.
  3. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    I`ve been making mine for years. I can`t seem to buy a call that I really like. I started out taking calls apart and replacing the latex then found a place to buy the frames and tape, can`t remember where. I always used balloons or latex gloves and all of my favorite calls I`ve made have been single reed. I just use scotch tape to stretch the latex out on a table then slide the frame on and clamp it down. A guy gave me a jig but I like the table method better. They are fun to mess with and it`s very satisfying to kill turkeys with a call you make. Oh yeah, when I was taking calls apart to replace the latex I`d use crazy glue to keep the latex in place and it would help with keeping the frame closed down on some of them too.

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Ever make any double frame calls like promos piggy back series. Those are best calls I’ve ever used.

5. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    No, kinda seems like I`ve tried using them though.

6. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    They will last a couple years if taken care of and the triple reeded double frames has some nasty, raspy yelps.

7. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    They are quite thick for a a mouth call; if u have a bad gag reflex prolly not what u want to use. But they sound pretty realistic imho.

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Thanks I always use the cheap 3 pack from Walmart I just use them to finish a bird as it's coming in.
    Like my slate calls for everything else.

9. sdorton

sdorton 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2013
    KY
    Look up "Gobbler Snipper" on Facebook. He makes some nice diaphragm turkey calls and they are priced right too. He is located in Lily KY too and his name is Tommy Sears.

riverboss likes this.
  10. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    I make all of my own. Shoot me a message if you would like some pictures and some info on how to get started!

riverboss and hoene like this.
  11. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    What brand of lathe and what size do you have. what are your recommendations for buying a lathe.