Dehydrated mushrooms

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by carnivore, Feb 28, 2019.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Have any of you dehydrated mushrooms (morels, oysters, hen of the woods etc) to preserve them? I plan to vacuum seal a few pouches of oysters and see how they do.
    Any tips?
    How do you prefer to rehydrate?
    Any general knowledge would be appreciated.

2. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Mushroom threads popping up today like morels lol. No I haven't mainly because what I don't eat makes good surprises for landowners and family. It's almost like giving away gold! Haha.
    Buddy of mine got a hankerin' last winter and ordered some blacks out of Oregon. Not quite as good as fresh like anything else but 3 of us cleaned that half pound up rather quickly.

3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have never found a wild mushroom in my life. But watched some videos on it. Just about every time some one found one. They would tap it on the ground saying knocking the seed back into the ground. Any truth in that? If so why cant you take these wild ones home. Make a bed and knock those seeds into it and start your own?

4. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Im far from a expert on understanding it but there has to be mycelium(sp) there in the ground that they like to fruit from. The "seeds" are called spores and invisible to the naked eye. No Idea if carrying them in an onion/tater sack helps spread spores but in plastic they sweat get mushy and there isn't a chance of spreading them. There's my little knowledge of it, I'm sure others know way more than I.
    Ive tried pouring the water I've soaked them in what appears to be likely places for years with no luck.

bondhu likes this.
  5. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    If you have dried fruit before they dry fine. Rehydrate in some type of liquid. Really flavorful for soups and sauces.
    As far as growing mushrooms. I have always thought mushrooms will only grow where mushrooms want to grow. I always dump my rinsing water around different spots and still nothing. But there is no doubt that this will work if all the stars are a lined ,so to say

6. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    thats about it in one sentence around here...well, having said that they are predictable in some areas and if they are happy there they will come back about every year as long as something drastic doesnt occur in soil or vegetation or tree rot in the area.

Turkey hunting out in the midwest i have seen absolutely ridiculous amounts of morels , like in Nebraska, Wisc, Kansas. And big ones too.

Then go to Idaho or Montana and you can fill five gallon buckets of smaller morels, black and white, in areas where the forest fires have burned through in year or two prior.

Once you get the eye for them they are not hard to spot if there are any around.

bondhu and barney like this.
  7. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I’ve dried morels and chanterelles before with great success. I first used my dehydrator but learned to just use the dehydrator’s drying racks and put them in my shed. Drying time varied but I checked them everyday and determined when they were dry. I never used a vacuum sealer just ziplocs and kept them in a dark cool cabinet.

carnivore likes this.