DEF shortage

Mya’sdaddy

Spike
Dec 25, 2019
Bowling Green
This story is wrong in so many ways. DEF has nothing to do with the engine. It’s part of the after treatment on the EPA10 engine. DEF is used in the second stage of the after treatment for the SCR. It’s simple fix go back to the EPA07 with just a dpf/doc system or get cut all of it out. I’d guess 50% of trucks are already deleted.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
This story is wrong in so many ways. DEF has nothing to do with the engine. It’s part of the after treatment on the EPA10 engine. DEF is used in the second stage of the after treatment for the SCR. It’s simple fix go back to the EPA07 with just a dpf/doc system or get cut all of it out. I’d guess 50% of trucks are already deleted.
If you buy a diesel motor and don’t delete it as soon as your factory warranty is up…..you are killing the motor.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
DEF goes impossible to find I'll just do a delete, even tho the truck is new, ain't screwing with em.

Mya’sdaddy

Spike
Dec 25, 2019
Bowling Green
If you buy a diesel motor and don’t delete it as soon as your factory warranty is up…..you are killing the motor.
I can’t speak on light and med duty engine but heavy duty engines don’t need to be deleted if you do you will have serious engine failures. We rebuild around 100 engines a year and 85% are deleted. If you just do the required maintenance you won’t have issue.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I can’t speak on light and med duty engine but heavy duty engines don’t need to be deleted if you do you will have serious engine failures. We rebuild around 100 engines a year and 85% are deleted. If you just do the required maintenance you won’t have issue.
So I’m not a mechanic and I only know what my mechanic told me about my f250…..but if you are recirculating exhaust gas and cooling it with engine coolant, aren’t you making the engine run hotter than what it should? Doesn’t the engine have to run exceptionally hot during regen mode to clean and cook the exhaust filters? The excessive heat seems that it would put excessive strain and wear on the motor? I ask because I don’t know and I’m not an expert. My mechanic said we are destroying light passenger trucks by restricting and overheating the engines.

Mya’sdaddy

Spike
Dec 25, 2019
Bowling Green
So I’m not a mechanic and I only know what my mechanic told me about my f250…..but if you are recirculating exhaust gas and cooling it with engine coolant, aren’t you making the engine run hotter than what it should? Doesn’t the engine have to run exceptionally hot during regen mode to clean and cook the exhaust filters? The excessive heat seems that it would put excessive strain and wear on the motor? I ask because I don’t know and I’m not an expert. My mechanic said we are destroying light passenger trucks by restricting and overheating the engines.
Your referring to EGR. Egr has been around for a long time in fact I worked with the development team for Detroit Diesel on EGR and natural gas in Southern California from 98-2005. Engine temps run the same 190-210. The engine are built to have egr flow. As for after treatment temp yes they can run up to 1000 degrees and again the engine are designed to do so. These companies spend millions of dollars on development for performance. When a delete is performs you are taking a engine that depends on a certain level of back pressure from the dpf/doc and scr. When these are removed, drilled or by passed is when you will see engine failure. Your guys are more than welcome to come to my shop and I can show you my lot full of deleted engine in line to be rebuilt. So as long as these guess keep deleting the more money I’m making. So by all means delete all of them 😁

And as of Sept all diesel trucks will need to be smog test before they can be registered in the state of California. My best friend has a shop in Riverside CA. They have 11 guys removing deletes and putting back to factory specs. It’s costing the owner of the truck at least 7k. I don’t like it but if the left wins in 2024 it’s going to start hitting other left wings states next. Usually what laws are passed in California hits the rest of the US later.

Last edited:

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
You do know you can adjust the size of the text right? My old eyes can’t see mine either without readers and enlarged text.

And yes, Brave has so far been much faster than Safari.
I just don't like browsing on my phone. I won't do it. The only time I ever try is if I'm in a treestand all day and the activity has been dead.....then only maybe.

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
Your referring to EGR. Egr has been around for a long time in fact I worked with the development team for Detroit Diesel on EGR and natural gas in Southern California from 98-2005. Engine temps run the same 190-210. The engine are built to have egr flow. As for after treatment temp yes they can run up to 1000 degrees and again the engine are designed to do so. These companies spend millions of dollars on development for performance. When a delete is performs you are taking a engine that depends on a certain level of back pressure from the dpf/doc and scr. When these are removed, drilled or by passed is when you will see engine failure. Your guys are more than welcome to come to my shop and I can show you my lot full of deleted engine in line to be rebuilt. So as long as these guess keep deleting the more money I’m making. So by all means delete all of them 😁

And as of Sept all diesel trucks will need to be smog test before they can be registered in the state of California. My best friend has a shop in Riverside CA. They have 11 guys removing deletes and putting back to factory specs. It’s costing the owner of the truck at least 7k. I don’t like it but if the left wins in 2024 it’s going to start hitting other left wings states next. Usually what laws are passed in California hits the rest of the US later.
I’m not trying to argue but tons of people on diesel forums would argue different to your post. They will say if you don’t delete you are damaging the motor. Many had tons of repair bills before a delete then deleted and had much less trouble and a better running engine. The bad issue with deletes is the programmer. Most people after deleting will use that to turn the motor up for higher performance and horsepower which many times is the reason for engine damage. I had a guy from Ford tell me years ago when I bought a new 6.0 that if I turn it up I’ll blow it up and that the engine was not designed for the extra hp. Since then tons of turned up trucks have broke down and ended up in your shop. From reading your post you sound knowledgeable in the field and nothing I stated is new

Mya’sdaddy

Spike
Dec 25, 2019
Bowling Green
As I said in the earlier post I speak on heavy duty engines. I don’t work or talk as I know about light and med duty engines. Lastly as I said before I cheer everyone who thinks deletes are the way to go. Knock yourself out. A $4500 delete will cost you 20-30k when you on a hook to my shop.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
As if the diesel fuel shortage wasn't bad enough.....

Whew... I still miss our old Cummins but at this point I'm thankful we couldn't afford another one when she gave out. (p.s. She left the kid who bought her stranded a few weeks ago when the hub assembly went kaput... Is it wrong that I really feel bad about it? We were 100% up front with the problems we knew she had but that wasn't even on the radar....)
Dont feel bad about the hub going out. Unlike a car hub that you start hearing as soon as it starts to make noise on a big truck you often wont know its going bad until you feel it when turning in a curve or parking lot. Two years ago we ran to town on a Saturday in town I felt the hub pop. Said out thats just great, Wife asked whats wrong I said feels like a hub is going bad. This was the first indicator. On the way out of town in a left curve it popped so bad I was afraid it was coming off. I nursed it back to the house and parked it. Drove 24 miles from first indication it was going bad until I parked it. Next weekend we replaced them. Both hubs were totally shot and were the worst worn hubs I have ever taken off. This was on a gas 2500hd much quieter than a Cummins. I dont know how much warning the Doge gave the boy buy I bet it wasn't much.