Deerpocalypse: Amazing Opening Day Body Count

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Hoosier Sasquatch, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I always sit out opening day to give the land owner some room. I stand by to help since he's getting on in years. Well, he shot a decent buck and after gutting it for him I was paid to run it to the processor. Now this video looks scary, but I drive 50 miles to go to these guys because they are very clean and competent. Keep in mind that this was shot on opening day during the rush. They were actually catching up! Still, it gives an idea how many deer drop statewide on the opener.

2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    And that my friend is why I will never take my deer to a processor so long as I’m healthy enough to do it myself.

that’s what they look like after they get there. No telling how someone handled them prior to arrival. And my deer may be laying in the middle of that bacteria party. No thanks.

Gooch and dirtstalker like this.
  3. Hoosier Sasquatch

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    I certainly understand. This is one reason I don't cry about missing opening day of firearms. I usually shoot my deer in october, and I'm often the only one there. I know this clip is a little scary but they have always done fantastic work.

muddhunter likes this.
  4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Builds up your immune system.

Junglekat and muddhunter like this.
  5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Talk with my friend who is a processor couple days ago and they were over 200 brought in so far. For a small 3 or 4 person operation they been going ball's out.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Whats he charging?
    Around $120 here.

7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    We use to have processors hunt our property. I made some side cash at night after we stopped hunting we would work till midnight getting caught up. I do my own now so I know what I’m eating, but that is what it looked liked every weekend. Sometimes the cooler would be 3-4 deep on a busy night.

8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Screw that. Ill.just keep doing my own, like i always have. The man that processes my hogs and beef, also does deer. Small, one man, maybe a helper at times, operation. He doesnt do that mess. He inspects em.in the truck, if he takes em, they go straight to a cooler and hang. I have seen him turn folks away due to the quality of their deer.

If i went to a processor and seen that, id just turn around and go home.

barney likes this.
  9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Did you think there would only be a handful? If they aren't busy on opening day then they suck as a processor.
    Have you ever seen a beef processing business? Does it make you question your hamburger that probably died three months ago?

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

He was $90 I think last year, not sure if the price went up since he sold out and now just works there. Said some guys are wanting mounts and summer sausage made up with the rest of the deer and some bill's are going to be in the 6 to 7 hundred range for what they want. Some darn expensive deer meat at that prices. Wanted me to bust a few doe's as they had money to process 17 more for HFTH program, but hold off like I have done on donations until late ML season. May try and beat the 3 in 27 minutes from a couple years ago if they still need some....LOL.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Mine charges 60.00 and 10.00 to skin it.

12. Hoosier Sasquatch

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Oh no, I do not think it is a "Big deal" other than it just makes it clear how big an event opening weekend is. This outfit did 150 deer opening weekend, and as I said in the video, it might look shocking but things were really moving fast. They were actually handling them quickly for the conditions, and we got a call to come get the deer in a week. Yes, not meant as a dig at processors.