Deer stand advice.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Amanda, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Amanda

Amanda Fawn

Mar 29, 2016
    Daviess County
    I need to buy a new deer stand, what do you guys like?

2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I like climbers. I don't like being committed to a hang on or ladder stands. I can move around without the hassle of hanging stands. One stand does it all for me.

3. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Yep if you plan on moving at all a climber is the way to go. I like summits. Also make sure to use a harness up & down!

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Depends. I have a climber but don't use it as much as I used to. We have several inexpensive 15ft ladder stands set up. I like to sneak into these in the morning. I'll do a hunting blind on occasion.

5. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    When I was physically able I used nothing else

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I have both. Bought most of my hang on's for less than $30, ladder included, on clearance. Got more $$ wrapped up in ratchet straps. There are just some trees where I hunt where it's impossible to get a climber into.

7. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have three climbing stands (2 Warren & Sweet lightweight climbers @ 16 lbs, 1 API Grand Slam @ 28 lbs) and two ladder stands (1 is a plain 12 foot high economy stand, 1 is a 15 foot high two man stand)...

The two man ladder stand is one a track of private land owned by my SILs family that I have harvested a number of deer (mostly does during bow season) over the past 10 years or so...

The climbing stands are used when I hunt public lands near my home in Georgetown...I like one of my lightweight stands for most hunting, but the API is a better stand when I am using my crossbow...(the smaller stands make recocking the crossbow more challenging and less safe)...

I also use an original Tree Lounge my father has for some hunting in SE KY where I can get an ATV...the stand weighs 46 lbs so carrying it with an arthritic back is not a serious option...

***If I were to purchase one stand for all deer hunting it would be a lightweight climber with a dropped padded seat...the Summit Viper series would be a good option... I find my API to be an extremely comfortable all around stand, but it is just a bit too heavy to carry easily...

8. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I have 4 double ladder stands (i use them to get my now 10 yo son into the woods on private), an API Bowhunter climber, a Summit Viper Climber, and a Lone Wolf Alpha II with sticks. On public it is mostly the LW I use since I got it. I bounced back and forth on the API and Summit before I got the LW. The Viper is a few pounds lighter the API is more comfortable. How you hunt has a lot to do with what will work best for you. Honestly if you got friends that have different stands ask them to borrow them for a weekend and practice with them and go for an observation sit this summer to figure out what works best for you. When you sit 10+ hours like I do often comfort is going to be more important then a few lbs. If you hike 4 miles in serious terrain those lbs may be more important.

9. Amanda

Amanda Fawn

Mar 29, 2016
    Daviess County
    Thanks you guys, I'm going to public land to hunt, so I'll just go for the climber. Seems to be the easiest to carry around and good for archery. I'm so pumped for deer season!

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Sounds like a good plan for you Amanda. As said, go lightweight but make sure you have a harness and have that climbing strap on both ascending and descending. Best of luck!

11. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Don't forget to tie your bottom of the climber to the top. I had a buddy forgot and lost his bottom part about 18 ft up lol

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Ive used ladder stands and climbers at LBL .. but by far a climber is the way to go. Pack it in ... pack it out...that way you don't worry if it will be there. Which I use an API Grand Slam .. have had it for years. Lots of good ones out there like API & Summit ... just don't skimp on quality vs cost.

On private ground ... we've got around 16 -15'ft ladder stands up scattered all over our place. Their hard to beat when your not as worried about someone walking off with your stand.

13. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    For public land I'd definitely go with a climber. If you use a hang-on stand you can not use screw in steps or any type step that will damage the tree. The only climber I would consider is a Summit and like the above poster said make sure you tie the upper and lower section together. I'd also use the platform stabilizer from thirdhandarchery. Makes the Summit even more rock solid than it already is.

14. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    As others have said I'd go with a climber on public land. I like my summit climber, but if I were going to buy another I'd look at a lone wolf. If this is going to be your only stand buy something comfortable that's light enough to pack.

15. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    The Lone Wolf climbers are the lightest and best but they take some getting used to as far as the actual climbing goes and they are expensive. Some people can't get the hang of them so I never recommend them to anyone unless they try to climb with them first. If you can climb with them without any trouble then there is no other choice that I have tried.