Deer shooting position

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kybuckbuster, Sep 9, 2015.

1. kybuckbuster

kybuckbuster 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I wasn't sure which forum to put this in but was wondering if many of us shoot deer, with a bow, from a seated position. I've got a stand that doesn't have as much cover as I'd like. The least I have to move the better! Gonna get in the woods this weekend with temps dropping a bit.

2. remman2

remman2 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2014
    I like to sit if possible. Seems like I get picked off less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If you shoot sitting, keep your form.... Practice from elevated and seated position if possible. If you lower your arm, your POI will be different.

4. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I'm doing the same thing bow hunting from a ground blind. With a deer stand on the tree I dont have much of a shot do to being to thick. Since I'll shooting from my knees from the blind I been practicing shooting on my knees.

5. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    I dont have much cover in my stand. Im about 23 ft high and I will always try and shoot sitting if possible. Less you move less likely you are to get picked off.

6. Docwaters

Docwaters 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2013
    Prospect
    Unless I am still hunting, I am sitting whether in a stand or a blind.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've shot several deer over the years from a sitting position in a stand. You just have to be careful and not simply lower your arm to the target.... That goes for standing shots as well. Maintain your bow arm form as much as possible...

8. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    What do you mean lower your arm to the target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    When you practice on level ground... You draw your bow, and your bow arm is pretty much parallel with your shoulders... When you draw in a stand, you want to maintain that angle as much as possible by bending at the waist... If you draw, and lower your arm to the target without bending at the waist..... lower your arm. Don't do that. Your bow will not shoot where you aim..

10. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I've shot most every deer while setting down. I can't even remember one I've shot standing. I think it's the best way to go since you lower your chance of being busted.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i usually only hunt 2 hours in the evening when it cools off and i stand the whole time.

12. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I am totally surprised at this thread. I have shot 2 deer with a bow while sitting and I did not feel comfortable at all. I always try to stand. Very very surprised to see so many shooting while sitting.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I wish I could do that, but if I stand, I fidget..... From one foot to the other.... I simply can't be still standing.

14. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    I cant remember the last one I shot standing up. I intentionally set my stand (when I hunt out of one) to be able to shoot sitting down. im right handed so I always put the left side of the stand towards where i think the deer will go (corn pile) or the trail I expect them to most likely walk. Usually put the stand at maybe a 45 degree angle to allow me to bend at the waist and not be in and awkward position. My wife made the comment this year that she doesnt see why we even practice standing up since she hunts a groundblind and doesnt stand hunt. Shes 100% more comfortable and shoots better sitting down than standing.

15. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I have only shot one deer sitting it is not natural for me I practice both sitting and standing just to stay sharp, but i stand in my stand for a majority of the time i spend (unless I'm sleeping!) in the stand while bow hunting. DISCLAIMER.....Always wear your harness. I do. You should too.