Deer season in the life of an old Carp

Sandman73

6 pointer
Dec 1, 2004
Paris Ky
Grinder, tell the grandyboy congrats on the nice deer!
Also, hope you get to chipping better on the close ones. I've not done so well either. First year with the recurve and I'm 1 for 5. I guess that's more fun than compound hunting cause I'd be 0 for 0.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
By
Went out yesterday evening with Mark in his place. We have at least a dozen stands there. I got in one we had not hunted this season. It had some feeding sign under some White Oaks. Mark went to the stand where the camera is taking pictures very regularly. Especially when he is hunting a different stand! He gets them in his phone while being in the wrong stand. Even though I saw nothing Mark was getting all sorts of action from early on. He got picked off by moving and his shadow on the ground alarmed the doe. He still got to launch an arrow but it was at a very alert deer. And evidently very quick! Another one in the dirt! But they kept coming back, or more kept visiting, right up until dark. He texted me and said he couldn’t come down because they were too many deer around him. To make it more funny the cam got a few pictures while he was in the tree. My evening may not been exciting but hearing his tales made it a lot of fun. He kept getting pictures through the night, and in the morning. I think they were missing him.
‘stand’ you mean ‘tree saddle’ right ? 😝

Jman

10 pointer
Feb 14, 2003
Hope a bunch of you guys are after 'em this morning! Looks like great morning for it! Nice temps! Think I'll sit out here at the office and live my hunting life vicariously through you guys in the woods! LOL! I did get two hours in a tree yesterday evening.........with a big fat zero on deer sightings!..........but it was nice to get two hours in the woods!

Wear your orange and watch out for youth shooters!!

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Took the day off to let the youth hunters go after them.
Yesterday evening I loaded my stand on my back and let out for a new place. Got a little late start since my buddy was later than normal getting in from work. Then the cable was locked where we usually go. So off in search of new ground! Walked too much for this ole codger. And never found the first Oak tree until close to an hour in. Finally found a White Oak dropping acorns, but it was nearly 6:30 by now, and there was very little feeding sign around it. So I sat on a log for a bit then ventured on. Found another tree on the way out. Never did climb a tree, got back to car during still good light, but the walk had me done for. Headed home early. It’s different when you’re old, sickly, and wore out!

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Tuesday Oct. 11. (I’m behind)
Went with a friend to a farm I had never seen before, beautiful day to be out, blessed to go again! Found good sign in the White Oaks but never saw any deer.
Here’s something to look at anyway...
2BC92406-4207-41DC-B13D-B536F8F0B6EF.jpeg

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Friday October 14th
Left a little early for an evening hunt. It’s the day before muzzleloader and I want to spend some time in the woods before getting out of the way for the smoke pole hunters. The wind was blowing across the point I had found sign on when scouting. I have never hunted this part of the farm but the sign was there. There are not many good white oaks on this place so that makes one that is dropping acorns very appealing to the deer! The evening began with the Squirrels giving me a hard time, they kept spotting me in one of their trees, and flipping their tail and barking at me. After hours of waiting and watching, the sun going down, and darkness soon to follow, the excitement began! I look to my right and see a Buck coming straight towards me! I began easing up as he approached since I can’t shoot to the right sitting being right handed. By the time I got up and ready he was close, maybe too close, less than ten yards close! But he was pointing towards me, behind a big tree, and checking the wind. I was careful to set up on the downwind side of the point without walking around on it, so I wasn’t really worried about that part. He made a few more steps in my direction and the standoff began! I was sizing him up and asking myself would I loose an arrow on him if I got the opportunity. He saw something ugly and out of place in the tree but after staring for a few he did not feel threatened by it. Maybe it was the stickbow! Either way I was struggling. He was plenty wide, plenty long, but thin racked, and lacked maturity. I recognized him from my friends trail cam, he had sent me pictures of this one, recognizable by no left brow tine. I hadn’t decided from cam pictures and still undecided with him right there. My buddy done said he would take it if given the chance. I am not what you call a trophy hunter, but I sure love hunting, and am not ready to end my season! The rut hasn’t even started yet, there are some good bucks here, and I want to continue enjoying it. So I was thinking no. But then he must have known my decision because he turns to his right, makes a few steps into the wide open , and stops broadside about ten yards! He began browsing for acorns as he slowly walked away giving me some great opportunities to miss! The temptation was there but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. So to help resist I chose to pull my phone out of my pocket and get some video. By this time he was fifteen yards or more away and behind some trees. Still searching for acorns he turned left again so he could walk by and tease me more. Then i caught movement to my left, it was two coon’s, they came to join the fun. He began walking towards them, stopping to watch them, they began walking towards him doing the same thing. I am getting some good video of all this. I stopped the video to keep it short but soon began another one as the two coons started climbing the tree with him watching them. What a great opportunity to draw and shoot I thought, but just stayed with video. After eating he slowly walked off the point out of sight. I stayed until dark to see if any more would come in but nothing. Only excitement after was one of the coons coming over under me and wanting to climb my tree. I ran him off and came down. A great evening and I feel very blessed to have enjoyed it.
757AFD4C-E32E-431D-955E-585858400FA7.jpeg

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Few more evening pictures. Wish I could post videos!

Attachments

• 56355EF5-8AEC-4228-AA81-326DAAECE1E4.jpeg
    56355EF5-8AEC-4228-AA81-326DAAECE1E4.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 26
  • B63A0021-E985-48B0-BFC1-9BBE585A3796.jpeg
    B63A0021-E985-48B0-BFC1-9BBE585A3796.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 27

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Left midday, went scouting hoping to find Buck sign, no luck at that. One very small scrape and rub line. Nothing to get excited about. But if I had a doe tag! Lots of feeding sign in White Oaks.
Tracked myself with OnX App...
After this I set up in different area, saw nothing this evening.
765EFBF5-7345-491B-AD07-1D7EB880B13F.jpeg

Latest posts