Deer season in the life of an old Carp

Jman

10 pointer
Feb 14, 2003
Excellent T-Man! I'm way behind on here. Just now trying to catch up with all the posts. Congrats on the kill. If one will run through this office, I may have a chance of getting one!!

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Had a good time hunting last night with grandson. No deer but got to enjoy 3 squirrels, a bunch of birds, and just sitting in the tranquility . Was close enough i heard him shoot right at dark. No deer, but a large raiding coon. As Maxwell Smart would say, “missed him by that much” 😁

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Saturday September 24th.
Morning hunt. First time to hunt since last Saturday morning. Getting up and going was challenging but managed to get there and meet my buddy a couple minutes late. It’s a 30 minute drive if all goes well. While loading in the side by side I was informed that it was supposed to rain, I hadn’t even took the time to look at the forecast. He hauled me in sight of the tree as usual and went his way. He informed me first that he was going to be hunting a different stand this morning. He had noticed the cell cam sending pictures to his phone were taking all in mid day, night, or evening. So he chose to hunt not far from the stand I was in. Faithful to the forecast the first wave of rain hit about 7:00 AM but wasn’t bad. Then another small wave later, then around 10 a pretty good shower hit. Thankfully I was in a stand set with two large trees growing very close together, a beech, and Oak. They provided me with a great canopy that kept me mostly dry. We didn’t attempt to move during it though. Then I feel a text vibrate my phone, sure enough it was Mark, but it wasn’t to give up and leave. He sent me a picture of the doe standing in front of his cam. Yes; right where his stand was they he decided not to hunt!
F831D036-EA90-4D67-8487-2737DA3B07FE.png

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
10:45am I spot movement about 35 yards away in the brushy stuff, focusing on it I see more than one deer, and they are very large bodied. As one lifts its head I see antlers, sure enough it’s two Bucks! Not Hugh but one of those do I shoot or hold off sized only to be decided during the moment by one’s own choice. But they saved me the trouble and made the choice for me. Something must have spooked them because they turned and moved away rather quickly. I kept looking in the direction I noticed one of them look before leaving but saw nothing at first. I expected to see a Yote as there are so many of them in this area. Finally I did spot movement in that direction, but after watching I see it is a deer. It began walking in my direction between my tree and where the bucks had been. When it came in some clearing I can see it’s another buck. But unfortunately it was a smaller spike head! It came walking right by me about 17-18 yards. Got some good video footage as it passed. I looked off to see if anything else was coming but saw nothing. As I look back to where I last saw the buck I didn’t see any movement, no wonder, the dummy had decided to lay down and take a nap, within 20 yards of me!
38451579-B308-4997-B64D-8402DB50498E.jpeg

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
My buddy texts me wondering if I’m ready to leave and I told him to come run the deer off first. While watch him flea himself or what they do I spot another deer coming. This time it’s a small doe. While getting video of her I see big momma coming also. I was expecting to see doe’s since I used the only tag we get for a doe in this zone last week. Oh well I thought; I’ll get more video. I spent the rest of the morning up till around 12:00 taking videos and photos of deer. And never drew a string! Exciting day and I was blessed greatly to be out there!

Attachments

• EC3B790E-C17C-4722-8B7E-1FBE061AE3E1.jpeg
    EC3B790E-C17C-4722-8B7E-1FBE061AE3E1.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 88CE770F-C8EB-479F-A523-85B3275C6FFB.jpeg
    88CE770F-C8EB-479F-A523-85B3275C6FFB.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 36

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Tuesday evening September 27th
Had a free evening and decided to go check on a camera I bought many years ago but used very little since. Should have checked the date and time because all the pictures taken in the past week were dated back in 2015 and the time was just as bad off. But I did get 145 pictures! Unfortunately most were of the same deer hanging around too long for a photo shoot. And every deer picture I got were all doe’s. And got plenty of squirrels and birds. While checking it out I was getting texts from my hunting buddy, he has one of those high tech cams that sends the pictures to your phone as it takes them. And of course the deer were marching around it like the children of Israel around the walls of Jericho! Oh well; I told my buddy that it only saved us from the embarrassment of missing!
8D72F5CD-7CF9-4E7D-B185-99B0CC6B439C.jpeg

2F4C0005-3B7A-4929-9C26-2878C41F20E7.jpeg

Oct 13, 2017
Hardin
It’s that time again and I’m feeling blessed to be able to hunt some this season! I don’t go as far in the woods, climb as early, or stay as long, but I sure enjoy hunting. So I thought I would journal my season and share what it’s like trying to hunt when you’re a sickly ole codger!
Day one, opening morning, rain and all, I was in a tree. But unlike in times past, I was in a ladder stand, driven right to it in a side by side by a friend. Around 8:00 AM I caught movement coming up the hill toward me. Sure enough it was a large old doe. Unfortunately she didn’t get that old by being dumb and I could see right off that she knew something was out of place. I think she caught movement before I did, probably that silly old Carp sitting in a tree looking at his phone, and laughing about his buddy having hornet issues in his tree. Why do they issue “smart phones” to dumb people like me? And why would anyone be looking at their phone while hunting, oh well. Anyhow, her not know what it was kept easing towards me, and I kept easing up with bow in hand. As she cautiously approached something else caught my eye, a Buck I hadn’t saw walked out from behind my tree, he stopped right under my stand, maybe 5-6 yards! This was too good, opening morning and a buck wanting to make things easy on me. But as I sized him up I saw it was only a four pointer, not worth ending my season of hunting bucks for, so I chose to pass. I then turned my attention back to the doe that had now came within 15 yards, still nervous, and wondering why the buck wasn’t getting in trouble. After a while she made the mistake of coming in to about 12 yards and broadside. Sounds easy doesn’t it? Not if you’re an old Carp! I done had her claimed as I eased my fingers to the string....(to be continued...)
My bow of choice foe opening day: the Rainbow Carp. A bow I built back in 2013, it was crying to hunt again...
View attachment 104372
View attachment 104373
I'm with ya dude, I'm 64, have had 12 spinal fusions, fused from T10-S2 posterior and anterior, I can't reach my feet to tie my shoes but still climb ladder to sit in my stand . Had a nice 6 point walk under me, I was hoping big brother was following but nothing happened, I let him walk away .

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
I'm with ya dude, I'm 64, have had 12 spinal fusions, fused from T10-S2 posterior and anterior, I can't reach my feet to tie my shoes but still climb ladder to sit in my stand . Had a nice 6 point walk under me, I was hoping big brother was following but nothing happened, I let him walk away .
Well you are a year ahead of me. It’s not the years but the off road mileage that’s hard on me. Kidney transplant patient, two cancer surgeries, and radiation. Diagnosed 4th stage over two years ago. Sure makes me thankful to be able to still hunt even though not as hard as I once did.
Hope your season is blessed as mine has already been!

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Preached tonight and now got a few days off. So I am leaving out tomorrow morning to hunt with the Sandman and hopefully Tarzan at Clay WMA. Going to be my for time there but I couldn’t turn down the invitation from the world famous Sandman. He has a nice camper to make it even more enjoyable! So I’m ready for a new adventure tomorrow.
So hopefully I will have some new content here soon.

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Thursday September 29th
Got an invitation to go hunt a public land WMA with a feller I met through 3D shoots. Since I preached Wednesday evening I waited to leave Thursday morning. It was a little over a two hour drive for me but having never hunted it before I was excited to get a few days to check it out. Got there and met up with the friend and I immediately realized he was telling me right, I didn’t need anything, but I done had the truck loaded. He had a big camper with all the comforts of home right out in the middle of nowhere. After laughing and snacking we hit the woods scouting, this didn’t require a lot since he has hunted there a lot, and already had some places picked out to accommodate a broke down old codger. We found sign rather quickly, acorns were falling, and we found feeding sign under some. We set out for an evening hunt and once up a tree I could actually see my truck. I had spotted a three fork Red Oak tree on a trail that looked like a good place to nestle in for the evening. You can see the tree in the background in a picture I took the next morning from a different tree I tried out. (To continue)
228BD5D6-CD3E-47BA-A7FA-F019FB999856.jpeg

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
I had not been in my tree but maybe an hour till I look up and see a doe come walking the trail right towards me! This was too good, she was following the script perfectly, and had entered the fifteen yard range. Now if she would just turn broadside and stop; it’s like she read my mind, she did just that. This was what I call a gimmie, early in the hunt, now maybe twelve yards, and turned broadside!! Only one small tree in front of where I wanted my arrow to go. And all I had to do was lean a bit to the right and I had the perfect shot. I drew, picked a spot, and released while she stood still. What could go wrong now? It’s perfect!
I made a little yellow smudge in the picture to show about where she was. Actually a little farther forward but best I could do with a small phone, no glasses, and a big finger!
33AA55DA-8D5A-4D2F-94BA-0028122AD88C.jpeg

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Well everything was perfect except the shot!! I watched the arrow fly directly over top of the deer! No jumping the string, hitting a bush, or any excuse, I MISSED!

Latest posts