Deer Rifle for a 7 and 9 year old

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by lobuthunter, Oct 13, 2014.

1. lobuthunter

lobuthunter 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2011
    north logan
    In the market for a rifle for my 7 and 9 year daughters to hunt with. What is the best round for them? I'm leaning towards the 243. However I've heard very little about the 308. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks.

2. cburton

cburton 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2014
    used a single shot .243 for both my kids from age 9 and the youngest is 15 now. No problems at all. in fact I like it so much I used it to take a 130" or so inch 8 point myself. Did it mainly because my father made fun of me for carrying it that year. One thing that really surprised me is that out of the 10 or so deer taken with this gun only one got out of sight after the shot. I have heard horror stories but I will attest that with proper shot placement and most of these were by kids the .243 I own is just devastating.

3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I guess it would depend on the .308 and the kid but my .308 kicks more than I would let my 14 year old daughter or 12 year old boy use. If it was heavy enough it might be ok. I would go with the 243. Works great with proper shot placement.

4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    There are exceptions...but Daisy makes the best gun for most 7 year olds, and some 9 year olds. You're the only one that can say for sure, but 9 is young and 7 is VERY young for most kids to start shooting high-powered rifles.--M

5. KY Helim

KY Helim 6 pointer

Jun 13, 2014
    If you can find a 32 special that's one of the best deer guns I used when I was a kid and sometimes I still use it. I dropped 3 bucks in there tracks and 1 ran 15 yards

6. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    I would have to agree.

7. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    regardless of what a lot of people think .243 is a great deer round, I've never used anything else for gun hunting and never had one run out of my sight having said that my 7 year old grandson didn't like the recoil last year so we used my .223 for him to take his first deer. They do make some managed recoil loads for .243 which would help for the kids just getting started but I haven't tried them personally. I'm not a .308 fan but it could be loaded to reduce the recoil as well.

8. easternkyhunter

easternkyhunter 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    breathitt county
    My nephew (8) uses a marlin 30-30. I put a limbsaver kick pad on it and he shoots it with no problems. Just make sure they use some sort hearing protection.

9. lobuthunter

lobuthunter 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2011
    north logan
    Thanks for all the replies my 7 yo is just getting into it and is having more fun just watching deer and squirrels and learning what birds make what sound, so I think I'm going with the 243 for my 9 yo and my 7 yo when she is ready.

10. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    The little fallow I took hunting for the last 2 years used a single shot 243 he dropped both deer on its tracks. He was 6 years old when I first time I took him out.

11. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Just do what the people around here do, shoot the deer yourself then claim that your 5 year old shot it with your 30-06. :eagerness:

Seriously though a .243 would be better for the kids than a .308 in my opinion. Just make sure your kids can make a good shot when the time comes and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Consider the weight of the gun as much as you consider the round. A .243 in a light gun can kick more than a .308 in a heavy gun.

13. Poorboy

Poorboy 8 pointer

Feb 23, 2005
    under the bank
    I went with a 30-30 for the boys. They practiced with the Remington managed recoil rounds and the real load while hunting. It was short enough for them to maneuver and hold up. Also enough bullet weight for a possible not so perfect shot and a semi quick follow up shot. A youth size bolt action would also be a good choice.

14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    7mm-08 with a muzzle brake for my boys at that age

15. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    I think outside the box. I have a 5 year old daughter that will likely hunt next year. I own Several suiting firearms for her small frame and if she is still excited will have her pick. I suggest an ar15 or .223 single shot. A single shot .223 like my h&r is heavy barrel with simple operation. Not many bells or whistles. an ar15 is only slightly more complex with less kick than anything on the market. With a simple red dot scope or hologram sight a youngster can easily make a connection and learn decent shooting habits. As the parent or guardian we are there to keep them safe and be in instant control of the weapon if needed. Ar15's catch a bad wrap but are truly an incredible weapon. Low recoil, millions of options, bullet selections, and plenty of optics. And they have options for single shot use, 3,5 & 10 rd mags for when junior gets trigger happy.