deer population

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Hammer, May 28, 2004.

1. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    The reason they give is that it promotes nose to nose contact with other deer, making it easier to spread some diseases. the real reason is that they have a hard time getting convictions in court for turkey baiters when they catch them. It'll be back around befroe to long for sure.

2. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    My friends and I were drawn for Greenbo State Park 4 years ago, and again last year. Approx. 95 deer were killed 4 years ago (1 by my friend and 2 by myself, including a nice 9-pointer), compared to about 15 last year. 4 years ago we saw approx. 20-30 deer each (2 of us were hunting) in a day and a half of hunting, compared to last year (5 hunters seeing a total of 6 deer --- I shot 2 does). I have a hard time believing the herd was devastated by one hunt. The other hunters from last year's hunt said they saw very few deer as well. Don't know what the deal was!<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kyfanatic</i>
    <br />"Pendleton has been zone 1 for 15 years" Zones and Zone 1 unlimited haven't been around for 15 years

I said roughly 15 years,never mentioned unlimited once,what year did they start zones in?

"ever hear tell of Kaibob WMA in Arizona?" Were those WT or mule deer?

Thats been over 30 years ago but best I can recall it was a mixture of several species.

Mammoth Cave had this problem at one time?" Mammoth Cave has NEVER been hunted since it was made a National Park.

Did I say anything about Mammoth Cave being hunted? Deny the fact that they had a severe overpopulation problem there that resulted in sick,undersized deer until surrounding areas were hunted heavier.

've never heard of any super large die off from over population in any of the states you mention. Can you provide specifics or a link?

I never said anything about a die-off in those states but said over-population resulted in what I emphasized Poor racks,sick,undersized deer.There have been die-offs in Texas,Alabama,Florida,and Arizona mostly years ago but I will try and find links for you.

Ky. has no areas that are out of control--if they do, then Gassett doesn't know about them.

Don't know who Gassett is but you should have seen Greenbo Lake State Park about 4 years ago,all the vegetation was eaten down to nothing as far as you could look into the woods from the roadways,I've saw to a lesser degree the same thing happening in under-hunted parks and fast developed suburban areas in Ky.The only reason KY has no major problem is because of proper herd management like Zone 1 unlimited.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

3. area guide

area guide 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Everybody could have been setting a hundred yard's in the wrong direction or may have been in a closed area.

4. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    No post in 36 hours! This must be a record for this topic! I figured I'd bump it to the top with my 200th post!!!! Everyone congratulate me! Oh by the way, I think the state should start a 15" spread minimum or atleast 4 points on one side(either one makes the deer legal to shoot) for all hunters over 16 y/o! Maybe that will stir a little activity here. Remember my dead horse post about 9 pages ago. I thought I saw it's eye twitch! Beat on!!!!

http://www.bigbuckforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb/yabb.pl

5. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Congrats on 200 Skin Dog.

As for the arguement????
    Just like Delmar said on, O Brother we art thou, "I'm with you fellars!

[:eek:)][:D][:eek:)][:D]

6. masterhunter

masterhunter Fawn

Aug 16, 2003
    vanceburg, ky, USA.
    I'm very happy with KY management and our deer heard and the two bucks that I've killed in the past three years. A 130 class and a 140 class. Lewis County has the best hunting I've seen since I've been an advide hunter.