Deer neck

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Bubbles, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    For those of you that leave them with the gut pile, why do you do that? 20191117_124642-2016x1512.jpg

That pile on the left will make 10-12 meals of bbq. 8 meals to the chunk on the right. What's still on the bone in the middle will make one helluva pot of vegetable soup for another 10-15 meals.

If you have ever taken the time to filet bluegill for 1 oz of meat, you should do the same on deer. Utilize as much as possible. Rant over. Just something that bothers me....a lot. I cant imagine leaving the neck of an elk or moose in the woods.

An idea just came to me.....wonder if i could corn this and make white bean soup? Wont have the fat content of pork but the taste may be similar.

aaronc, xbokilla, HCDH66 and 8 others like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My son said ,the neck is one of the best cuts ,on a deer. He cooks it in a crock pot, he said all the fat cooks out ,makes some really good eating.

00noturkey and barney like this.
  3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    When we took ours to a processor the guy that cut them up said the neck roast was his favorite. He'd trim it off the bone in one piece, tie it up, and slow cook.

4. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    those that leave the neck are missing out

5. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    It makes more gelatin than any other venison roast for sure.

barney likes this.
  6. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    How far from the head do you cut in down to shoulders

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I always keep the neck. Slow cooked or pressure cooked it is tasty and makes a fine roast; big mistake discarding the neck.

kyoutdoorsman and drakeshooter like this.
  8. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    Throw it in a crock pot with some seasoning of your choice and a box of beef broth. Cook it until it will fall apart. Drain and mix in your favorite bbq sauce and you got some of the best pulled venison sandwiches you can ever make. So simple yet so good.

davers and drakeshooter like this.
  9. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    That is a lot of neck! I will keep it but rarely get all that. We will make a nice crockpot roast that to me is far better than beef. Carrots and taters and some stock. Good winter meal. Only other thing I’ve done with it is ground burger. How do you all prepare it? It looks like you have separated out several identifiable cuts. Mine is just one piece rolled up.

barney likes this.
  10. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    No cuts in my pic, just sliced off the bone. For the large boneless cuts, i put a dry rub on them, smoke it, then shred for bbq. For the bone in, i always crock pot it, save the fluids, and add to a pot for soup. I have also just crock-potted the whole neck of a doe just for bbq.

Yes that's a lot of neck. Over 200 lb buck. I pulled it out of the cooler and knew it wouldn't fix in any crock pot i own.

xbokilla and muddhunter like this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I have crockpotted whole. Today, I boiled out neck and lower back. Let it cool then stripped for bbq, etc...meat and froze it. I actually like that lower back meat better than neck.

12. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Better than fooling with all the tendons and crap you gotta cut away in the front shoulders for sure. I cube it for stew meat.

13. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    For years, we would use a saw to make bone-in neck roasts. With CWD concerns, when we hunt CWD positive states, we bone out the neck meat now. But we never leave it in the woods. Lots of good meat there

HCDH66 and Lady Hunter like this.
  14. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    last time i got a deer, doe, i run the loins, from the tail to near the ear.. till then, i had not heard, about neck meat, till i talked to a neighbor. a decade ago..
    Now, i gotta ask a dumb question.. some fat in a deer, will leave the worst after taste. Is the fat in the neck, different? as winter fat is for calories later, an maybe more densely packed..
    i got a coffee can of winter fat cooked down, sinew cleaned out, it looks like mink oil.. i just never could figure out a use for it..
    i figure if you use in on boots or something, you have a pack of yotes, or wild dogs on your trail..

15. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    The exterior fat/tallow is nasty. The fat inside the neck itself makes it very gelatinous when cooked down. Always toss that exterior fat.