Deer movement ML opener part II

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JGD, Oct 20, 2012.

1. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    About witness something I've never seen before. First off saw 2 deer cross the road on the way to my hunting spot including a buck. Thought right away it might be a good morning. Got to my spot that overlooks a big weed field
    that has crops on 3 sides. Saw a doe shortly after daylight and then a fawn. After a while I see 2 bucks and the
    bigger one is about a 130-35. See a couple of more does and all is quite as the deer bed down. Look up and see
    2 coyotes come around the corner of an old barn and they split up. Watched the female staring intently in the
    direction where the deer bedded. She starts doing that high jumping as if she's mousing and then the male
    streaks off the top of the hill into the weeds as she comes in at an angle and the place erupts with deer. Thinking
    at first it may be a bluff charge I see deer running in different directions with coyotes in hot pursuit. Seemed like
    it went on for minutes but I'm sure just seconds but I saw a deer running all out at the top of the hill with a coyote
    closing. I suddenly hear this awful bawling sound as no doubt they took one down. All was quite and the deer
    started leaving the field as 4 different ones came through the gate opening I was standing besides. The bigger
    buck came in my direction with his mouth agape and breathing hard.
    This all took place out of range but it was a pretty exciting morning. Would have loved to walked over and checked
    out the carnage but I don't want to go in their bedding area.

JGD

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Ugh, goodness, wish you could have got a shot at one of the yotes.