Deer meat

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyoutdoorsman, Aug 1, 2020.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    With all this epidemic and don't know what's gonna happen with beef prices,. Who is going try to get an extra deer or deers for the freezer this year

2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I’m gonna try to get 10 in freezer this year. I normally do a couple for burger a couple for summer sausage and a couple for jerky. Then I make roast out of the rest. I keep tenderloins and backstrap outta all of them. I have reached 9 one year and ate all of them by August. So 10 is my goal.

keith meador and xbokilla like this.
  3. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    This man is a deer slayer lol

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My daughter will eat a little, but my wife doesn't care for it at all. I usually just put one in the freezer, but will probably put two, maybe three in this year.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Putting only one in the freezer. But also with a Beef I will have slaughtered. Maybe a Hog to.

Nock and xbokilla like this.
  6. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I’d say several will get more deer meat. Do y’all think people will wanna slaughter more beef like buying one from someone else if they don’t own cattle? As far as beef prices I don’t think they will go high for a little while. I do think they will go higher but will take some time. Right now gold and silver prices are moving up. I think crude oil and beef will make their move next year prolly grains as well. I can’t see anyway around inflation because of all the money that is being printed and the relief bills. The more money that is floating around then prices go up. Just supply and demand.

7. CKyleC

CKyleC Fawn

Nov 8, 2011
    I plan on buying another freezer for the amount of deer I plan on putting up this year

xbokilla likes this.
  8. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I’ve given almost all my meat away this year to people that really wanted/needed it during the pandemic. Also ate a lot. Told the wife we will start fresh this year. She doesn’t eat it much and I can’t get enough. So hoping for 3. We will see though

BowOnly and xbokilla like this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

That’s putting it away! I killed two last year, feel like we eat deer fairly often, and I still got quite a bit left. My brother usually has all of his ate by May-June and lives alone and he usually kills 2-3 so if you got a big family I can see it.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Bought a new freezer last fall. Always had chests, bought a big Whirlpool upright and love it. Can see and get to all the meat easily, adjust shelves, good lighting...wish I’d done it years ago!

Winchester94 likes this.
  11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    My family of 4, my mom, and my 2 elderly neighbors have already went through the 12 I kilt last year. The goal this year is 16. Can't have the old folks runnin out

Nock, BowOnly, keith meador and 6 others like this.
  12. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    My mother just got a freezer about a month ago. She had a hard time finding one. Stores told her they are selling as quick as they get them. I raise cattle and people are asking about buying. The hard part is finding a processor that’s able to do them. Most are booked up from what I’m hearing.

13. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    2 does, 1 buck, 1 fawn, and mostly just me eating the meat, and not eating it as often as I want, and I'm just seeing the bottom of the freezer this week. This year the goal is at least four full-size, and with crop damage permits, I should be able to get to work on that starting next week. But with working basically two FT jobs, I won't get to hunt much till December. Might be tough.

Meatstick likes this.
  14. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    Ho. Ly. Cow.

15. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I don't have the density to shoot does on the farm but I will run around to some wma's to see if I can find a doe or two, gonna need em.