Deer gate/fence/shoot project.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ezelkyhunter, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Have a block of woods that probably 100 yds wide that borders two fields. It’s pretty flat and the deer filter through the entire section as again terrain here doesn’t dictTe much.

just to try something new I’m gonna cut a bunch of the maples and make a barrier fence with them if you will (nothing to elaborate but enough to you cant walk through) to direct the deer though the funnel. Yes deer can jump the barrier some will say but I’m betting that they use the path of least resistance and this little project will have some success.

anybody ever tried it themselves?

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I bet it will, and yes I have. Gonna do something similar this year. We're gonna cut a lot of small trees and limbs at the new shooting house to create shooting lanes. Will use the carnage to try to funnel them in a favorable direction......

3. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Haven’t done it but sounds effective for making a tighter funnel.

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I have done this at the shallow end of a 3 acre pond that naturally funneled deer coming off 4 finger ridges. There was a dense thicket at that shallow end so
    I constructed a 40 yard long “fence” of jute twine and branches to force them
    to walk down to the end of the thicket to allow clearer shots. Worked very well. You may have to repair the fence occasionally. I usually did this every year just before deer season.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  5. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    It works have done the same many times

6. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I use to hunt a woods ridge about 300 yards out if leaves where dry it was impossible get in without bumping them in November, took a leaf blower and cleaned out a big path that crossed 3 deer trails I figured it would run them off, but they started using it the bad part try going in before daylight and walk right up on them and they would come in "my path" from wrong wind, and I didn't have shooting lanes.. Other than that it worked... I just took spinners off my feeder attached PVC pipe with a 22 elbow down to a leg

woodsman92 likes this.
  7. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

It works. I'd also add that it doesn't take much to perturb the deer's movement.
    Deer are basically lazy. If you give them a choice between the hard way and the easy way, they'll take the easy way. Remember that a lot of their movement takes place at night.
    I've seldom done funnels like what you're suggesting, but I have observed what deer do when faced with an obstruction like a fallen tree. They always pick going around instead of up and over or directly through.
    In one case, I had a fenceline that was seeing a lot of traffic that was in a blindspot to my shooting house. All it took was a few branches and the deer stopped using that way through the fenceline and picked a spot in front of my blind instead. That pattern has now persisted for over 10 years even though the original branches have rotted out.