Deer drop vs run off experience

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
You like for em to drop in sight of the deck?
Made me laugh, lol. Only place I try to shoot a deer in the shoulder is at Ft. Knox, don't want my buck running into another hunter around the point, but I won't shoot one there at any other place. I also won't shoot from any spot at my house, even though I have the opportunity, just don't seem right to me. Legal yes, but I like to be out in nature amongst'em. I won't knock anyone else for what they like, we all family here.

shaman

10 pointer
I've been shooting at deer since Reagan's 1st Term. Some deer seem to go down right now. Some run a ways. I've even had them take shots and go back to feeding. I've never been able to figure it out. This year, all of ours laid down pretty much where they could be seen from where they were shot. However, one doe went down right where she stood. Some years they all want to run to the bottom of the ravine.

Every one of these was shot through both lungs. Some had their hearts pulped as well.

BootsOn27

6 pointer
Oct 13, 2011
Got a doe tonight. 7mm08, 140 gr accubond, 2825 fps, 91 yds. Dbl lunged her. She went 25-30 yds leaking really bad. Pass through as always with the accubond
Lungs were ripped apart.
Shot my buck last year with the same setup. Same result. Blood trail was UGLY. He buckled upon impact, trotted about 5 yards, hopped a small fence and collapsed 10 yards later. Love the 7mm-08.

Huntin' Fool

6 pointer
Oct 17, 2014
I assure you its not the caliber. Ive been hunting with pops for 25 years now and he straight up drops em better than anyone I know. He likes to go slight behind middle of shoulder. I personally like behind the shoulder a hair.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Shot my buck last year with the same setup. Same result. Blood trail was UGLY. He buckled upon impact, trotted about 5 yards, hopped a small fence and collapsed 10 yards later. Love the 7mm-08.
The 120 BT is tough on em. Shot one last year at 71 yds. Lung sticking out of exit hole. Thats what I planned on shooting this year, grabbed wrong box of shells. Had to sight rifle in Saturday. :)

Teach Deer

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2013
Georgetown
As long as you have a reasonable caliber (we are not talking about the 223 here or IMO even the 243) with a good bullet (or a slightly heavy for caliber cup and core bullet), center the shoulder and the deer go straight down...

Behind the shoulder (rib cage, double lung hits) are fatal but will usually see deer make a 5-6 second dash (whether they can go out of sight in that time depends on your hunting area/terrain)...The one advantage to rib cage shots is that there is very little usable meat destroyed...

Hunting public land as much as I do, any deer that leaves your sight is open to be shot and claimed by another hunter (which of course means you get NO meat)...so I practice the center shoulder shot with my 7mmRM (total devastation with Nosler Partitions) and 270s...

As to the OP, the terminal difference between a bullet fired from a 308 and a 30-06 is so minuscule as to not be worth mentioning...

Latest posts