Deer drop vs run off experience

kyhunter99

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2014
Still in the kitchen Ky
Brief glance over of ballistic stuff i think said if you shoot them toward the rear of their lungs with the core lokt they tend to run quite a bit further than normal even with the fatal shot. Specifically mentioned 100yds. So, yes. Placement is everything, it is all.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
Im gonna, leave this one alone, but for the ones that think corelokts are junk, and think they wont kill deer, i could set here half the night posting pics, of dead bucks, that if could talk would disagree with you. But to each his own, i really dont care who shoots them or not, i wish less people shot them right now , so a person could buy a box. Im not trying to brag on my bucks, or anything like that. But if your losing bucks with a 3006 , 150 or 180 its not the ammo, with all that being said, i hope everybody with whatever they use. Can get a quick kill and a short drag.
Killed 11 point and 2 does so far withem this year. Buck drop in tracks doe ran maybe 30 yards. Other doe dropped in tracks. Been shooting them for 25 years no problem.

Ash12

10 pointer
Oct 21, 2007
I got my .308 a few years ago and started running federal fushions in it and have been impressed and pleased with the results. I think my furthest deer has gone about 60 yards (she actually ended up running towards me and passing away close to my stand). I shot two does back to back this year at about a 120 and a 130 yards. The first one that was larger took a step or two and expired quickly. The second was much younger, and made it about 50 yards but I had an exit hole and there was a pretty big blood trail so I had no problems once I found it. I would highly encourage you to look at federal fushions when you get a chance.

The other key I think a lot of people forget about when dealing with shot game is this ( and I'm not trying to be rude when I say this) but these are wild animals we are dealing with! They aren't raised in a zoo, and can be very unpredictable. Even if you make a lethal hit on an animal with the best bullet on the market, there is no guarantee that it is going to flop over dead or go down promptly. Period.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
I blew the top of the heart out of a doe a few days ago. Still ran 60 yards with very little blood.

Makes absolutely no sense to me. Same bullet in a 270 worked much better.

I shot a doe last year through the heart. Disintegrated it. Still ran about 70 yards with no blood.

I think it may have more to do with shock of a faster bullet but I'm no ballistics expert by any means

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Im gonna, leave this one alone, but for the ones that think corelokts are junk, and think they wont kill deer, i could set here half the night posting pics, of dead bucks, that if could talk would disagree with you. But to each his own, i really dont care who shoots them or not, i wish less people shot them right now , so a person could buy a box. Im not trying to brag on my bucks, or anything like that. But if your losing bucks with a 3006 , 150 or 180 its not the ammo, with all that being said, i hope everybody with whatever they use. Can get a quick kill and a short drag.
I've not had a deer run out of sight with a 25.06 core lokt.... The last 4 bucks I shot didn't go 20 feet combined.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I blew the top of the heart out of a doe a few days ago. Still ran 60 yards with very little blood.

Makes absolutely no sense to me. Same bullet in a 270 worked much better.

I shot a doe last year through the heart. Disintegrated it. Still ran about 70 yards with no blood.

I think it may have more to do with shock of a faster bullet but I'm no ballistics expert by any means
Deer don't bleed when the heart isn't pumping blood! They will still run but there's nothing inside pushing the blood out, maybe your thinking the 308 is to small and afraid to shoot into the shoulder's, next deer you shoot center punch it's shoulder and see what happens! I think you will be very happy with the results.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I've been reloading my own since my 3rd year hunting. Uncle taught me. I shoot either 125gr Sierra Spire Points, or 130gr Hornady Spire points, or 150 gr Sierra Spire Points in my 06. I shoot em in the neck if possible, no tracking required. The few I've shot in the shoulder didn't go 60yds and pass thru each one. But I hate to waste meat.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
I've taken deer with 243, 270, 30-06, and 7mm wsm. Most were with the 7. Personal preference is a ~150gr copper jacket/lead core, fast bullet, with high BC.

Here's been my experience:
243: dropped but were long range
270: most ran too far, 1 was 100% my fault
30-06: 0-40 yards
7mm wsm: 75% dropped, longest 40-50
Muzz: dropped to 100+
Bow: 15 to 150+ ... lost 2

bleedinblu05

Spike
Oct 27, 2011
Christian County
Not sure which “Nosler” bullet your running. I myself run the accubond (not needed I know, but it’s what I have a bunch of right now and the gun likes em).
Anyway, a while back I was shooting 165 grain Nosler Trophy Grade accubond ammo out of my .308. I shot a couple bucks in consecutive years, recovered both and neither ran very far. I just wasn’t happy with the bullet performance though; not enough expansion, one literally penciled through the deer. So down the rabbit hole I went. Ended up contacting Nosler. In most of their bullet lines, the higher the grain, the tougher the jacket. So, a 165 is going to be a tougher jacketed bullet than a 150; hence, less expansion on deer sized game (keep in mind the accubond bullets are designed for larger game really). So, I dropped to 150 for better expansion. I would suggest the same as long as your gun shoots 150’s okay.
Deer are not tough animals to kill, and bullets like the accubond are not really needed. I just like a blood trail if necessary. If you want more dramatic kills, then a ballistic tip ( in the Nosler line, or sst, or the like) would be a better bet. Still tough enough, but more expansion; just less chance of a pass through.

Last edited:

ReddCane

Fawn
Nov 26, 2019
Christian County
I’ve never (knock on wood) had one run more than about 25 yards. I’ve hunted with .223, 30-30, 7.62x54R, and 300WMR. When I was younger and relied on meat to get through the winter I could only afford a $79 Mosin Nagant, after wasting shoulder after shoulder, I borrowed money from my Dad to buy a 223. Like the others have said, shot placement is key. I don’t take a shot if I have a doubt the animal will go down, and I’ve never lost one.

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge
Killed lots of deer with the same 270 shooting 130gr blue box federal..pretty much the cheapest on the shelf. However my gun groups em better than the hornady&Winchester silver tips..got lucky there;)
Over the years I've seen some crazy unexplainable crap. Deer can and will impress you on their will to live and ability to get in the nastiest places you didn't know existed within 75yrds of ya. Percentage wise I'd say...80% go 20yds max...10 go down 10 go to Narnia for all I know. Lots of things can go south in the blink of an eye, when killin deer...no matter the projectile type. My advice is shoot what your most accurate with and hope a limb doesn't jump in the way or some other unforeseen problem.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
I have around 100 or so old style Winchester Silver Tip bullets 150 grain for the .30-30. I loaded up a few in my .308 using: 44.0 grains of IMR-4064 and did an expansion test, by shooting one in a plastic coffee filled with sandy wet soil, with a creamer jar, filled with water, placed behind the coffee container. I fired this load @ 25 yards and recovered the bullet, which was perfectly mushroomed and still retained 91 grains after going through all that wet sandy soil, velocity @ some 2,600 FPS. This is better expansion than with a Hornady 150 grain PSP bullet which requires a bit more velocity to expand and perform well. I use 45.0 grains of Varget for the Hornady PSP bullets as it provided enough velocity from my Ruger 77 compact magnum rifle with its 20" barrel.

P1010001.JPG

Latest posts