Deer Dogs

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by carter county cuckler, Nov 17, 2011.

1. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    I visited the UKC forum and was reading about some of the guys down south getting ready for Deer season running dogs.I just want to say this makes me sick to my friggin' stomach.I cant stand a dog that runs deer,especially a hound,rather its mine or anybody elses.I love dogs but Im sorry if I see a one running a deer its dead meat.

2. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    i have zero tolerance for a deer dog. It just doesnt seem right for a hound to be running a deer. i wouldnt want my coonhound running a deer. But after reading what kycooner wrote it kinda opened my eyes. If thats what there dogs are bread to do then. I dont think theyed be considered trashy. More power to them i suppose.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. archeratarch

archeratarch Banned

May 15, 2011
    It's a tradition in the south and very sporting. Probably nothing like you would envision unless you've done it once or twice. If you had to hunt in some of those swamps down there, you would understand why people hunt with dogs.

4. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Kill every coyote you see, and leave the dogs alone. You'll be more help that way, IMO.--Mike

5. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    One of these says you'll shoot the wrong persons dog. Not to mention your breaking the law.

6. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Maybe the southern deer hunters can't stand to see one treeing a coon. Ever thought of that?

And if you had ever actually stepped foot on some of those areas of the south where they use dogs.. you would see that it is pretty much the only chance that you are going to have at killing a deer because of the thick pine forests.

It is perfectly legal in certain states and is as much a normal tradition there as anything that you do in Kentucky. Some of you guys need to get out more.

7. kycooner

kycooner 8 pointer

May 2, 2007
    I think its a great thing,,Its a sport and the dogs doing there job ,for what there trained for is great..you know there not all coonhounds ,,they use foxhounds to,, You have a coonhound that won't tree ,,and beleive me I've seen my share ,,why not let folks put it in a deer pack ,,the hound will have a great life. And won't be used as a brood dog ,to throw pups that most likely won't tree. One of the best Black dogs around in the mid 80's was bought out of a deer pack, the owner said she kept falling out of the pack and treeing coons. Randy Scaggs bought her the dogs name was Grntch Scaggs Misty.

nascar driver Elliot Sadler keeps Treeing Walker coonhounds ,,and they use them in a deer pack. Cale Yarbouruogh coonhunts Redbones

8. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    So how about fox, rabbits, bear, lions and hogs? I'll bet those REALLY make you sick.

9. carter county cuckler

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    With 20,000 some post I would be the one talking about getting out more.I pipeline and travel for a living.I have worked the deep south,out west,up north and Hawaii.So what part of the country have you been in lately?There is no excuse or reason to run deer with dogs rather it be in the swamps,pine thickits or whatever.As an avid houndsmen and deerhunter there is a big difference in running deer than any other Big Game animal in the United States.You guys talk a big talk when it comes to hunter ethics.You really think it is ethical to run a Big Game animal that has no place to hide,to get away or fend for itself?What kind of sport is that?Most of the time it takes a special kind of hound to tree coon,run a fox all night,chase rabbit through a thickit.What kind of dog does it take to run a deer?Any kind of mut,pure bred or trashy dog on the planet can run a deer.If dogs dont do what they are bred to do,you lead em down to the river bank and dispose of them.Thats why we have so much trash out here now,people breeding trash,you get trash,plain and simple.

10. RedJackedUp

RedJackedUp Spike

Oct 12, 2011
    Dry Ridge, Ky

11. carter county cuckler

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky

12. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I grew up running Walkers, and then moved to Mississippi for college. I went out several times just to get a first hand view, so that I was not making opinion on emotion.

The day of running deer with big dogs is nearly over, a lot of those chases can go for 5-8 miles, and they run over anybody and everybody's land. This alienates a lot of folks, from anti-hunters to serious hunters that have a lease in quality deer management. On top of that, a run deer is nearly inedible.

Now, on the other hand, I have also been on a few hunts with small dogs (beagles, harriers, etc...) and that was all kinds of sporting. We could go into areas that you could not physically walk 10 feet into, and post up around the edges and turn the dogs in. Always had a nice bit of music, and when the deer came out they were usually moving along just faster than the dogs, looking back. Shot several that way. As a bonus, you don't loose a wounded deer when you hunt with dogs. It will be found.

That being said - if the method of hunting is legal then who gives a poop what you think about it. I personally don't care for jugging catfish, doesn't mean I am going to go around an bad mouth it. For some jugging is fishing.

13. RedJackedUp

RedJackedUp Spike

Oct 12, 2011
    Dry Ridge, Ky

14. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    You said a mouthful there... ;)

You ever tried to deer hunt that mess down south, cuckler? If not, you're talking out your backside.

Like Coot, I highly doubt that the guys down south give two squirts what your opinion is of their methods or hounds. Running a scent track is running a scent track. Any trashy old dog could do it, including coons.

Oh, and for your information.. I have hunted, fished and travelled all over the US. I guess your pipeline work and window time must trump all that though.

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Fellas, all I can say is that when we fight amongst ourselves over what we each consider sporting it adds plenty of fuel to the antis' fire. Just keep in mind that the antis don't give a damn what type of dogs or game any of us pursue. They want all of it outlawed. Personally, I'll gladly stand shoulder to shoulder beside any Walker Man, Mountain Cur Man, GSP Man, Bluetick Man, Plott Man, Beagle Man, Harrier Man, Pointer Man, etc. when it comes to fighting off attacks from the antis. It seems to me that we all need to be focusing our energy on a group of people that want to stop our way of life not on each other. I run beagle hounds because it's in my blood. It's a way of life that I'm proud of and consider myself blessed to experience. I don't hunt to kill, but rather kill to hunt. It's not about the kill. It's about the journey. The antis don't understand this and never will. Focus on this rather than the bullshit discussed above. If I have offended anyone I am sorry, but it needed to be said. Good huntin'.