Deer cabin in a barn?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JGD, Jun 24, 2010.

1. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    My brothers and I are going to convert part of a barn into a hunting cabin and wondered if there are any particular pitfalls in doing this? The barn is very large so we will only be using a small part of it. I 'm sure this has been done and would like some useful advice on this undertaking. Thanks, John.

2. popeandyoung

popeandyoung 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2009
    in the stand!
    Dont really have any advice for you but I have seen it done before. Good luck!!!

3. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

We converted one wing of the barn at my parents place into a meathouse to put all our butchering equipment. Poured a slab, framed it up, insulated it, tiled the floors, ran electric, ect. If there was one thing we missed, it was just leaving that tin roof as a ceiling with no insulation. Aboslutely freezing in there in the winter. Good luck with the cabin.

4. mgpatty

mgpatty 10 pointer

Nov 15, 2007
    Floyd County
  5. Bullfries

Bullfries 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2008
    my double bull
    My deer camp is located inside my pole barn, I have radiant heated floors, a wood burning stove, fridge, stove, electric... If you do it right there will be no downfalls, just be sure to store your gear good so the rodents dont get to it and you should be fine. Also make sure you insulate it VERY GOOD, before I re-did everything in my camp we had a sub-par insulation job and it got cold very quick when the fire started dying down. I suggest that you let every black snake you see around your barn live as they will become your best rodent eating friend... Good luck.

6. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond
    Where I hunted in Ohio had converted 2 horse stalls to an "apartment". Rough cut lumber walls, a motel style AC/heating unit, stove, sink, bar, satellite TV, etc. The 2nd stall was a bathroom. Virtually a studio apartment. It worked well and couldn't have been too expensive if you already have electric and plumbing. Many barns will have electric and running water. The waste water/sewer is the problem.

Good luck and show us some pics when it's done.