Deer and horses ?

rackhanger

6 pointer
Jul 5, 2012
N east,
Howdy folks, im looking at buying 25 acres and i wanted to ask. If the owner currently has about 10 horses that he allows to roam freely on the property would this have a permanent affect on deer movement on the property? Thanks.

furd

6 pointer
Nov 20, 2012
n.ky
I hunt a farm with horses and see them in the feilds together alot. Just be careful and don't shoot a horse.

Farrier85

10 pointer
Oct 29, 2015
Fencing is 3 strand barbed wire that is down is several places.
I'd be more worried about the horses wrapping barb wire around their ankles then I'd worry about the deer lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Farrier85

10 pointer
Oct 29, 2015
If you mind your own business and just meander quietly through the woods, it's amazing how close you can get to deer (on horseback).
I've rode close enough to good bucks that I could have threw a rope on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Coot_Meurer

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
Not here anymore
A lot depends on the horses, if they are staying.

Some horses are extremely curious - they won't bother the deer, but they won't leave you alone. Hard to hunt when they hover around your stand, or destroy your pop up blind. Some horse are mean/evil and will run off anything in their pasture. We had one (for 23 hours) like that. He hated cattle and dogs, and tried to stomp the dogs and did run the cows through a fence. Had my wife not been able to catch him quickly, I was going to let the .270 catch him permanently. Some horses are so laid back and placid they won't move any farther than shortest line between the water tank, the hay bunk, and the shade.

For the most part, the deer won't care.

luvtohunt

10 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
I hunted two big persimmon trees one year that were loaded with fruit. There were five horses in that pasture that I watched run deer off to get to the persimmons falling. Those horses slept under that tree when they started falling til I left. Needless to say I didn't sped much time there.

Latest posts